Study Abroad & Immersion Language Study
American students, studying at St. Petersburg's Smolny College, including Madeline Kinkel'14, Chang Woo Seo'14, Amanda Strenz'14, Bernadette Clark'14, Olivia Capozzalo'14, and Keegan Covey'14 with Alexei Kudrin, Russia's former finance minister (2000-11) and the Smolny College Dean, and Darya Pushkina'95, Smolny's Associate Dean. Fall 2012.
- American Councils for International Education (ACTR/ACCELS)
- Herzen State Pedagogical University, St. Petersburg, Russia
- Saint Petersburg State University: The Center of Russian Language and Culture
- Moscow State University
- Beloit College Center for Language Studies. Summer Intensive Language Studies at Beloit.
- Harvard Summer School. Russian
- Indiana University. Summer Workshop in Slavic, East European and Central Asian Languages
- Middlebury College. Language Schools: Kathryn Wasserman Davis School of Russian
- Bard-Smolny Colleges Study Abroad Program
- Monterey Institute for International Studies. Summer Intensive Russian Language Program
- The Council on International Education and Exchange (CIEE) is one of the largest study abroad programs, with programs in Russia and Eastern Europe.
- Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS), Johns Hopkins University. Political Russian
- The School of Russian and Asian Studies
- University of California, Berkeley. Intensive Russian Language Workshop
- University of California, Los Angeles. Intensive Russian (Elementary and Intermediate)
- The University of Kansas, Language and Culture in St.Petersburg, Russia
- University of Pittsburgh. Russian and East European Summer Language Institute
- University of Virginia. Summer Russian Language Institute
- University of Washington. Intensive Summer Russian
- Yale University/St. Petersburg State University. Intensive Russian
Recommended Reading List
- The Rough Guide to Moscow, Stephen Keeling (London, 2008).
The Rough Guide to St. Petersburg, by Dan Richardson (London, 2008).
Both offer good advice, reliable historical summaries, maps, subway plans, descriptions of museum collections, neighborhoods.
- Eloise M. Boyle and Genevra Gerhart, The Russian Context: The Culture behind the Language (Bloomington, IN: Slavica Publishers, 2002, CD-ROM disk).
- Langenscheidt's Pocket Dictionary: Russian - English / English - Russian (2006)
- Geoffrey Hosking, Russia and the Russians: A History (Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 2001).
- Robert Service, A History of Twentieth-Century Russia (Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 1998).
- Orlando Figes, Natasha's Dance: A Cultural History of Russia (New York: Picador, 2003).
- Catriona Kelly, Refining Russia: Advice Literature, Polite Culture, and Gender from Catherine to Yeltsin. (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2001).
- Nicholas Rzhevsky, ed., The Cambridge Companion to Modern Russian Culture (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1998).
- Nancy Ries, Russian Talk: Cultural and Conversation during Perestroika. (Cornell University Press: Ithaca and London, 1997).
- James A. Billington, The Icon and the Axe: An Interpretive History of Russian Culture (New York: Vintage Books, 1970).
- William C. Brumfield, A History of Russian Architecture, 2nd ed. (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 2004)
- Theofanis George Stavrou, ed., Art and Culture in Nineteenth-Century Russia (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1983.
- Camilla Grey, The Great Experiment: Russian Art, 1863-1922 (New York: Harry N. Abrams, 1962).
- Victor Terras, A History of Russian Literature (New Haven: Yale University Press, 1991).
- Richard Taruskin, Defining Russia Musically (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1997).
- Looking West: Cultural Globalization and Russian Youth Culture (Post-Communist Cultural Studies). Editor: Hilary Pilkington (Pennsylvania State University Press, 2003).
- Classic Russian Cooking: Elena Molokhovets' "A Gift to Young Housewives" (Indiana University Press, 1998).