Risk Management

Division of the Vice President & Treasurer

College Sponsored Off-Campus Activities 

The approval process for off campus activities varies, depending on the purpose of the experience.  Please consult the appropriate page for additional information. General policies are below.  

Van & Bus Transportation

Bus & van third party rental contracts must be reviewed by Risk Management and may only be signed by the Vice President and Treasurer.

For certain programs, the college contracts for van and bus transportation; these contracts may only be negotiated, approved, and signed by the Vice President & Treasurer.

If you are considering renting a van or bus from a third party, please contact the Risk Management Office, as early as possible, at risk@reed.edu. The Risk Management Office will help to ensure all required insurance and liability language is included in the contract.

Reed Vans

Vans are managed by the sports center and Facilities Services. Van drivers must be trained and certified by Reed.


Renting Vehicles

Faculty and staff may rent vehicles including automobiles, SUVs, and minivans while traveling on college business. Rentals should be made through Enterprise or National to take advantage of the preferred vendor program using the account code XZ46871.

Faculty and staff may not rent multi-passenger vans or buses on college business. If a multi-passenger vehicle is required, please follow the process above for Van & Bus Transportation.


When utilizing the preferred rental providers Enterprise and National within the USA and Canada you do not need additional insurance if you rent a vehicle and are using it for college travel or other college business.

For all other rentals the additional collision damage waiver (CDW) should be accepted


Please email Risk Management within 24 hours of any accident or damage involving a rental vehicle. Take pictures of any damage and take information of any other vehicles involved.

Personal Vehicles

When individuals choose to use personal autos on College business or to/from a College activity, the owner’s personal automobile insurance policy is the primary insurance in the event of an accident. There is no physical damage coverage through the College for personal vehicles, and the College’s insurance is secondary to the vehicle owner’s insurance.

An Individual who drives their personal vehicle on College business or to/from a College activity is responsible for their own safety as well as the safety of any passengers. The College bears no responsibility for the operation or operating condition of personal vehicles and expects drivers of personal vehicles to comply with applicable local, state and federal laws.

The owner of the vehicle must carry at least the minimum automobile liability limits required by state law. The owner of the vehicle is responsible for any applicable deductible (e.g., liability or collision coverage) and is responsible for any increased personal automobile insurance premiums as a result of any accidents. Claims arising from use of a personal vehicle are to be reported to the owner’s insurance company under the owner’s policy. In the event of a serious or potentially serious claim, the Risk Management office should also be notified.

International & Air Travel

Before traveling internationally on college business, make sure you have the following:

  • Insurance coverage
  • Visas
  • Immunizations
  • Valid passport for the duration of your trip

When traveling in winter, be prepared for delays that winter storms can cause, ensure you have a backup plan, and have your travel insurer’s number available.

You should check with the state department before arranging any international travel. Reed College prohibits College-funded international travel to countries that are classified with a State Department travel advisory risk of Level 4.

Data & technology

TSA has the right to search electronic devices when you enter the country, without warrant or probable cause. In the event that this happens, comply with the TSA officer’s request and at the earliest opportunity contact CUS 503-777-7525 or cus@reed.edu.

When possible, leave all electronic devices (laptop, cell phone, etc.) at home. If you must take your Reed computer, talk to CUS about borrowing loaner equipment to limit the amount of data you take.

  • Avoid using computers in cyber cafes or hotel business centers.
  • Assume anything you do over the Internet will be intercepted (even if the link is encrypted).
  • Change your Reed password (and any other password you intend to use abroad) before leaving. Change those passwords again when you return.
  • Check for current warnings or advisories for the specific area you will be traveling.



Hotel reservations should be for reasonable, safe, convenient, and comfortable lodging. The College will only reimburse for lodging that meets hotel and lodging licensing requirements for the state in which they are operating. 


Hotels and other commercial properties carry insurance that covers their guests in case of injury or property loss. The type of properties offered via Airbnb and similar services vary widely in the type of coverage available for guests (if they offer any at all). Because of this, we do not recommend their use for College business. We do understand, however, that this option might best suit your needs or the experience you want to have when you travel. There may be occasions where choosing Airbnb might be a less expensive option, or perhaps there are limited accommodations in the area. However, if you choose to utilize these services, please be aware that you are accepting personal responsibility for any incidents that may occur during your stay. 

Accidents/Injuries/Near Miss

Report all injuries, incidents, and near misses to the supervisor (or Risk Management Office if not applicable), even those that do not require medical attention. Early investigation and mitigation of potential problems can lead to reduced occupational accidents, but these incidents must be reported in order for the College to adequately evaluate the risks. Supervisors are required to complete the "Accident/Incident Report" form to report any incident (an accident with no medical or time lost), which occurs in their area, even if it happens to a volunteer or visitor. A copy of this form needs to be forwarded to the Human Resources Office within 3 days following the accident so a timely investigation can occur.