Winter Housing 2022-2023
Winter break housing is available for students who demonstrate a need to remain on-campus over winter break. Break housing is only available for students currently living on-campus.
You must submit an application to be considered for break housing unless otherwise communicated to you by the Residence Life Team.
Priority will be given to students experiencing financial and/or housing insecurity and students who call another country home. Winter housing is not meant to serve as temporary lodging between a student’s travels.
Winter Break Housing Criteria
Students are responsible for indicating how they meet the break housing criteria in their application.
- Financial Need: Students with demonstrated financial need may be eligible for on-campus housing over winter break. Financial need is defined by your financial aid package and/or other extenuating circumstances.
- International students and students with homes outside of the US.
- Access to Safe Housing: Students who report a lack of safe off-campus housing during Winter Break.
- Medical Needs: Students who need to remain in Portland for access to medical resources.
- Access to Work: Students who need to remain in Portland to continue their on or off-campus work.
- Other: Other extenuating circumstances.
- Winter housing is not meant to serve as temporary lodging between a student’s travels.
Automatic Approval: If you qualify for automatic approval you are still required to submit an application unless otherwise communicated by the Residence Life Office.
- International students and students with homes outside of the US
- High financial need as documented by the financial aid office (please contact the Financial Aid Office regarding questions of your financial aid status.)
- Prior approval for housing over winter or summer break
Students will be required to sign a winter housing contract. The 2021-22 COVID-19 Housing Addendum is in effect and only must be signed if a student is moving into Reed housing for the first time.
Students must complete an application to be considered for winter housing.
Applications will be available through the Housing Portal from October 15 to October 29.
Applications will be reviewed by a staff committee chaired by the Associate Dean of Students for Student & Campus Life and will include representatives from Financial Aid and Residence Life
Winter Housing Contract
Students who stay in winter housing are charged a flat fee of $500, due Wednesday, December 16. Students who are unable to pay the $500 may be charged on a sliding scale. This is determined by the Winter Housing Committee during application review. Students also have the option to apply for an emergency loan by working with the Business Office. Please contact the Business Office for questions regarding emergency loans.
The cost of Winter Break Housing is determined by your financial need status as indicated by the Financial Aid office.
|October 15: Applications available through the Housing Portal|
|October 29: Applications due by
|November 4: Students informed of application status via email|
|November 18: Accepted students must confirm their acceptance|
December 5: Deadline to cancel winter housing contract
December 16: Winter housing payment due
Students who accept winter housing remain in their academic year room.
Campus Services & Resources
Break access and hours for many offices and departments are more limited than during the semester and details still being determined. An updated comprehensive guide to campus resources and services will be published here by mid-December. Please note in addition to regular weekend closures, the College is also closed Friday, December 24 and Friday, December 31.
LogisticsResidence Life Staff
Area Coordinators and House Advisers will be available to support students who remain on campus. They are available to assist residents by providing resources, coordinating events, and problem solving any issues residents may encounter.
Winter housing residents can expect to hear from their winter break Area Coordinator and House Advisers as we get closer to the start of winter housing. They will reach out to provide information regarding winter housing, including:
- Community connection, programming, and communication
- Roles of Residence Life staff and methods to contact them
- Campus resources
Commons hours are limited during winter break. Commons break hours will be published in December. Students should plan to provide their own food. The Reed Community Pantry is also open during break.Maintenance Requests
Submitting a maintenance request is the best way to report facilities issues over the break.Safety
Community Safety is open all winter—24 hours a day, 7 days a week. CSOs will be checking up on residential buildings frequently throughout the winter to ensure safety and security. Please help them out by reporting anything that is out of the ordinary. Dial “0” from any campus phone to reach them or 503-771-1112 from anywhere. There may also be fire extinguisher and house repair checks throughout the winter as well.