Private lessons are available in all orchestral instruments, guitar, harpsichord, piano, voice as well as jazz and some ethnic instruments. Students of all levels are encouraged to study privately at Reed.
Registering for lessons is a two step process:
1. Register for lessons, MUS 101, the way you would any other class.
2. Complete the MUSIC SCHEDULE FORM.
Fees for twelve 45-minute lessons are $540.00. Scholarship aid is available where appropriate. Please check the box on the music schedule form indicating a scholarship is needed. Private instruction fees are waived for junior and senior music majors.
Private Music Instructors
- Accordion – Rob Fishel
- Bassoon – Carin Miller Packwood
- Bass Guitar - Mike Gamble
- Cello – John Hubbard
- Clarinet – Alexis Howard
- Classical String Bass – Don Hermanns
- Flute – John Savage
- French Horn – Joe Berger
- Guitar – Mike Gamble, John Mery, Nat Hulskamp
- Harpsichord – Sue Jensen
- Jazz Piano – Gina Pruitt
- Jazz Trumpet - Noah Simpson
- Mandolin and Banjo – Jan deWeese
- Oboe/English Horn - Kelly Gronli
- Oud – Nat Hulskamp
- Percussion – Brian Gardiner
- Piano – Denise VanLeuven, Monica Ohuchi, Jeff Payne, Gina Pruitt
- Saxophone – John Savage
- Trombone – David Bryan
- Trumpet - Joe Klause
- Tuba - David Bryan
- Violin and Viola –Kenji Bunch, Greg Ewer, Nelly Kovalev, Elizabeth Peyton
- Voice – John Vergin, Emily Lau
Reed also has instructors for a variety of Chinese instruments. Instructors of other instruments are added to the staff as need arises.
Lynn Harrell masterclass
How do I register for private lessons?
Can I take lessons if I am a beginner?
All students are welcome to study voice or instruments with a private teacher. We welcome beginners!
Can I register for lessons or an ensemble if I'm also registered for 4.5 credits?
If you wish to avoid an overload, lessons can be taken for 0 credit.
How do I apply for financial aid for lessons?
Financial aid for private study is available where appropriate. Please contact Denise VanLeuven (firstname.lastname@example.org, PAB 147, ext. 7472) to be placed on the scholarship request list. Scholarships are awarded the first week of the semester.
When are the practice rooms open?
FALL 2020: All practice spaces will be scheduled by Denise VanLeuven.
Does the music department have instruments to loan?
Yes, we have a variety of instruments that can be loaned to students who are in the orchestra or who are taking lessons. Please contact Denise VanLeuven for more information.
Where can I store my instrument?
Lockers are located on the 3rd floor of the PAB. Large instruments and amplifiers can be stored in large storage rooms. Contact Denise VanLeuven for lockers or keys to storage rooms.