Resources for Majors
As you get started on your thesis and classes, you may wonder about how to get help for things you need. Here is a quick list:
- Shelf space is available for seniors to store books and materials. Please contact email@example.com to learn more.
- If the library does not own a resource that would be integral to your thesis, contact your subject librarian as they may be able to purchase either a physical or digital copy. (Obviously you can also order items from summit, so this is really for items that you need for the whole year vs just 6 weeks.)
- Initiative grants are specifically for thesis support. The purpose of this program is to enhance thesis research opportunities for students by providing modest support for research expenses. A carefully prepared and realistically budgeted proposal is required. The first deadline is Sept. 30.
- Eddings grants can also be used for "Unusual research expenses for theses (and perhaps even for junior seminar projects)." If you are planning on using it for thesis, apply for the initiative grant first and if you don't succeed or get enough, apply for Eddings. This maximizes your chance of getting fully funded. Eddings can also fund projects for over winter break (you don't need to be a senior.) Fall 2020 deadline: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 12noon.
- Not necessarily a senior but need help buying books? The financial aid office also can help you figure out resources for buying books. Also keep an eye out for when the bookstore has scholarships for the Spring.
- Have some other research related item you need for your work but are not doing your thesis? Check out Reed's Opportunity Grants. Deadlines this fall: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 at 12:00 p.m. and Wednesday, November 11, 2020 at 12:00 p.m.
- Want to make sure you have funding for the year after you finish at Reed? Check out the upcoming fellowship and grant deadlines at the Fellowship and Awards page.
- Juniors may want to pay attention to the Beinecke which provides substantial funding for graduate school and must be applied for junior year.