At Reed, students engage in an individualized and interactive process with Disability Support Services and with relevant faculty and staff to determine and arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodations. Current and incoming students are encouraged to begin the accommodations process as soon as possible once a potential accommodation need has been identified.
Students who do not have documentation of a disability, or are not sure whether DSS is an appropriate resource for them, are welcome to email DSS or schedule an appointment to learn more about: the accommodations process, disability documentation guidelines (and how to obtain documentation), as well as other resources that may be available with or without disability accommodations.
To request accommodations at Reed, students should follow the following procedures:
- Student submits a pre-appointment form (and disability documentation) using the DSS student portal
- Student schedules and attends an intake meeting with a DSS staff member
- DSS reviews accommodation eligibility and notifies student via email
- Eligible students log in to the DSS student portal to select specific accommodations
- Student follows through with any next steps that are required for the successful implementation of accommodations
- Student requests to renew their accommodations (and requests accommodation changes) as needed
1. Student submits a pre-appointment form (and disability documentation) through the DSS student portal.
- DSS will review the student’s information and notify the student if additional information and/or disability documentation is needed prior to their intake meeting with DSS staff.
- Students who do not have disability documentation are still welcome to schedule an appointment, though DSS may not be able to fully assess their eligibility for accommodations until documentation is received.
- The intake meeting is an opportunity for the student and DSS staff to discuss the nature and impact of the student's disability(ies), review the student's disability documentation together, and explore possible accommodations and resources.
- In keeping with the individualized and interactive nature of the accommodation process, DSS may ask the student to provide additional information or disability documentation in order to better understand the nature and impact of the student's condition and their specific accessibility needs.
- Once the intake meeting is complete and DSS has received appropriate documentation, DSS will review the student's accommodation requests. If needed, DSS staff may consult with relevant faculty or staff members to discuss program requirements and/or identify reasonable and appropriate accommodations (or viable alternatives).
- Once the student's accommodation eligibility has been determined, DSS will notify the student of their eligibility via email. Students are encouraged to contact DSS if they have questions about their accommodation eligibility, or if they would like to request changes to their approved accommodations. Students are always welcome to provide additional information or documentation to DSS for further consideration of their accommodation needs.
- Upon logging in to the DSS portal, students will be able to view their course schedule and all accommodations (academic, housing, PE, etc.) for which they have been approved.
- From their list of approved accommodations, students will need to select the specific accommodation(s) they would like to use for each course or program.
- DSS will review the student’s selections, and accommodation notifications will then be emailed to the student’s instructors and/or relevant staff.
5. Student follows through with any next steps that are required for the successful implementation of accommodations
- Certain accommodations may require additional steps or follow-up from the student, such as: notifying DSS of the textbooks that are needed in an alternative format, completing Residence Life's housing registration process, or communicating with faculty around alternative testing arrangements. In such cases, the student will be notified of any actions that are necessary for the implementation of their accommodations.
- Each semester, eligible students will need to use the DSS student portal to request the specific accommodations they would like to use in each course.
- For housing accommodations, students will need to contact DSS well in advance of the annual room registration process to request renewal of their accommodations for the following academic year.
- In some cases, DSS may ask the student to provide more recent/updated disability documentation.
- Students are encouraged to contact DSS at any time during the year if their accessibility needs have changed, to request and discuss possible changes to their approved accommodations.
Collaboration and effective communication amongst students, faculty and staff are an integral part of accommodations process.Once accommodations are in place, it is essential that students remain in communication with DSS and relevant faculty/staff around their ongoing accessibility needs. Students are encouraged to contact DSS as soon as possible if:
- their accommodations are not meeting their needs;
- their needs have changed;
- they would like to request additional or different accommodations;
- they encounter any barriers in implementing their approved accommodations;
- they would like to request assistance in communicating with faculty or staff around specific accommodation needs.
We strongly encourage all students who have academic or PE accommodations to speak with their instructors about their accommodations, and to do so early in the semester whenever possible. We find that collaboration between students and instructors results in a smoother accommodations process.