Three-Two Program

DUAL DEGREE PROGRAMS in Engineering, in Computer Science, in Electrical Engineering and Applied Physics, and in Computer Science and Engineering.

In order to offer students a broader selection of majors, Reed College has affiliated with several cooperating institutions with which students may undertake a program that will allow them to graduate with degrees from both institutions.

These programs are variously known as "3/2" programs, "dual degree" programs, or "combined plan" programs – usage is evolving – but in every case such a program essentially involves three years at Reed followed by two years at the cooperating institution.

The Reed component of the program entails the following:

  • Satisfying all general college requirements:
    1. introductory humanities
    2. the six-quarter physical education requirement
    3. the group requirement -- three units from each of three groups:
      1. Humanities and the Arts;
      2. History and Social Science;
      3. Natural, Mathematical, Psychological Science;
  • Earning at least 22 units of credit, at least 20 of which must be earned at Reed (at most, only two transfer units may be applied to distribution requirements).
  • Satisfying all requirements of a major (including the junior qualifying examination) excepting thesis and other courses attaching explicitly to the senior year.
  • Satisfying any pre-requisites for admission to the cooperating institution (these vary somewhat from institution to institution and will be detailed on each program's descriptive page).

Students participating in these programs are required to maintain registration (for which there is no fee) at Reed during the years spent at the other institution. Special registration forms and information are available from the Reed College Office of the Registrar.

Students potentially interested in pursuing a dual degree program are encouraged to identify themselves to the Dual Degree Program Coordinator, Professor Mark Beck, (503) 517-5031, early in their Reed careers in order to be in a position to receive information about campus visits, career advising seminars, and the like.

The cooperating institutions generally require a particular grade point average (GPA) in order that a student be recommended by Reed for continuation. Although it is the policy of Reed College to encourage students to evaluate their own academic progress independent of the existence of course grades, this requirement of the cooperating institutions must be kept in mind by students in combined programs.

 Programs with the California Institute of Technology (Pasadena, California -- CIT or Caltech), with Columbia University (New York City, New York), and with Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (Troy, New York -- RPI) offer the bachelor's degree in engineering or in computer science. Some of these also offer programs leading to the master's degree. The CIT program, in addition to engineering and computer science, also provides for possible combined majors in astronomy and in various earth and planetary sciences.

Because the question of whether to become a licensed engineer is one that needs to be considered at some point by every prospective engineer, here is a link to a document describing the engineering license provided by Columbia University (April 11, 1995) that addresses the issue.