Old Dorm Block (ODB)
Old Dorm Block was built in 1912 and remodeled in 1992. The design was inspired by old English manor houses (a look at the chimney structures supports this idea), with grotesques scattered about the roofs and doorways. Grotesques on this building emphasize its use for recreation and sleep. On the south side of the building, flanking the Sallyport, are Lux, or light, a figure greeting the day (east), and Nox, or night, closing its eyes for sleep (west).
Old Dorm Block is divided into eight residence halls initially identified by letters A through H, but known today as Winch, Quincy, Doyle, Eastport, Westport, Kerr, Abington, and Ladd. The residence halls were renamed in 1935 to recognize Martin Winch, nephew of the Simeon Reeds; Quincy, Massachusetts, a former home of the Reeds; A.E. Doyle, architect; James B. Kerr, president of the board of trustees for a decade; Abington, Massachusetts, a former home of the Reeds; and finally William M. Ladd, who provided the initial gift of land for the college and was chairman of the board of regents (1919-31). These residence halls are some of the most popular on campus, as they are quite spacious and many have fireplaces, balconies, and window seats.
The Sallyport, in the center of the building, follows a French medieval Gothic style of creating a place in one's castle or home from which to dash forth in defense. Just above the Sallyport is a functioning sundial that perfectly represents time on April 20, June 9, September 3, and December 22. Looking at the Old Dorm Block chimney structure, you may have spotted two weather-beaten statues of beavers. These honor Oregon, the beaver state. At various times in the college's history, a look in the same direction may have yielded a rare glimpse of the "House F" or Doyle owl statue. The legend of this popular Reed figure is complex, somewhat daring, and imbued with humorous details.
Information about other residence halls on campus can be found on the residence life website.