COVID-19 Prevention & Response Plan

Campus Access

Outdoor spaces on Reed campus are open to the public. Most indoor spaces are restricted to use by current students and employees, except as allowed for events or to access public-facing offices. Any use of Reed campus property by external groups or organizations must be approved through Reed’s conference and events planning (CEP) office.

Visitors, Vendors & Contractors

Vendors, contractors, and individuals providing professional services to the college may access the campus and facilities as necessary to accomplish the requested or contracted services.

All vendors, contractors, and approved visitors to campus must follow relevant CDC, state, and Reed public health guidelines Visitors who do not comply with these guidelines may be required to leave campus.

Residential buildings are controlled by ID/swipe card access all hours and days. Access is limited to current Reed students, their approved guests (current Reed students, staff, faculty, or contracted affiliates), and college staff in the performance of their official duties or approved activities. Guidelines for usage of residence hall common areas can be found on the Residence Life website.


Community Safety

Building Entry/Exit Controls

The college maintains stringent entry and exit controls that limit student, faculty, and staff access to most campus buildings. We summarize below the controls in place.

  • Nearly all buildings require swipe card access, with limited exceptions.
  • When classes are in session, Gray Campus Center (GCC), Eliot Hall, and Vollum will be unlocked from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday. The GCC will have limited weekend hours of noon to 5 p.m.
  • During academic breaks (summer break, winter break, spring break, and holidays), only the GCC and Eliot Hall will be routinely unlocked on weekdays.
  • Residence halls require swipe card access 24/7.
  • Swipe card access for faculty and staff is active 24/7 in authorized areas.
  • Student swipe card access to most buildings with shared indoor spaces (e.g., PAB and Vollum) will be from 6 a.m. to midnight daily. Requests to provide individual students access to spaces not in the general plan should be directed to by the faculty, department, or administrator who oversees the program or space.
  • Requests for specific buildings to be unlocked for defined periods of time for programs and events will be managed by Conference & Events Planning (CEP) or college officials with direct responsibility for specific spaces.

Questions or concerns about the overall plan should be directed to Questions or concerns about specific types and areas of access should be sent to


Community Safety

One Card

Campus Signage

The college developed campus signage that is posted around campus to promote essential public health practices. Customized signs can be ordered through public affairs by submitting a creative project intake form


Facilities Services