Mail Services is central receiving for all mail and shipments arriving for students, faculty and staff at Reed College. Reed community members can purchase a variety of mailing and shipping services here and pick up packages which have arrived for them. Mail Services also provides address list maintenance, addressing and inserting for automation rate bulk mailings. Although we have reduced staff on site, these services are still available during the pandemic. Please wear a mask and keep a 6 foot distance between yourself and others when visiting Mail Services.
- Public window hours
- Mailing supplies
- Box stuffers
- Postal information
- Addressing mail to Reed College
- Mail forwarding
- Daily receiving and delivery procedures
- Other hints & tips
Mail Services is open weekdays between 9 a.m.– 4p.m. We mail and ship through USPS, FedEx, UPS, and DHL. Our cash register only accepts cash or check. Again, please wear a mask and keep a 6 foot distance between yourself and others when visiting Mail Services.
Daily receiving and delivery procedures
We deliver mail to student boxes Monday–Friday. We also deliver mail to Faculty Eliot boxes Monday-Friday. When you receive a tracked shipment you will get an email from Mail Services telling you it is here. We make one delivery run each weekday to departments.
We post our outgoing mail, Fedex, UPS and DHL every weekday and it is picked up the next day when deliveries are made.
We have shipping containers for the various express services, shipping tape, a small selection of envelopes and intra-campus envelopes available at Mail Services. The bookstore carries a wider selection of stationery notecards and envelopes, thank-you cards, boxes and packing material. If you need specially printed envelopes or postcards, Printing Services, in Eliot Hall, can help you.
There are several things you can do to speed the delivery of your box stuffing.
- Get it to the mailroom at least two days before the information is needed.
- Use at least 3 inch by 5 inch pieces of paper; half sheets are better.
- If the stuffer is for a selected group, write their box numbers and put the stuffing in box number order.
- Call ahead and tell mail service (extension 7214) you have something to be stuffed and when it will be ready.
- There will be no Saturday box stuffing except by specific prior arrangement.
The mailroom will not accept or allow the following types of material for insertion in the student mail boxes:
- Anonymous submissions
- Advertisements for sale of merchandise or services (except those that arrive in the U.S. mail)
- Political advertising for college, city, county, state, or federal election (except those that arrive in the U.S. mail)
- Personal statements of opinion (use the Quest)
What mail services will do:
- We will put your stuffer in the boxes same day or next day depending on when it reaches us and how busy we are. Call if your stuffer needs to go into the boxes immediately; if that is the case mail services may ask that you send someone to help with delivery.
Always use proper and complete addressing when you mail.
- Use the top line of your address for your attention line.
- Do not abbreviate city names.
- Make sure the address is left justified with a uniform left margin.
- The delivery address should be directly above the city, state, ZIP code line.
- Always include street numbers and street names.
- Always use pre-directionals and post-directionals where appropriate.
- Always include suite and apartment numbers when appropriate.
- Always include a city name and the two-letter state abbreviation.
- Always use the correct ZIP code (or the correct ZIP + 4 code if you know it).
Guidelines to follow for putting your mail on the fast track
- Type or machine print all address information
- Center the address on the envelope
- Format all lines of the address with a uniform left margin and aligned type
- Make sure that print is clear and sharp
- Make sure that address characters do not overlap or touch
- Do not use any punctuation in the address except for the hyphen in the ZIP + 4 code
- Use correct address abbreviations
- Do not place any printing below the city, state, ZIP code line
Reed College MS ____
3203 SE Woodstock Blvd
Portland OR 97202
To departments, faculty, or staff members
3203 SE Woodstock Blvd
Portland OR 97202
Students Faculty and Staff: leaving Reed?
You need to forward your mail!
If you are leaving your on-campus mailing address (for the summer, an extended leave, or permanently) please log in here to submit your forwarding address to Mail Services. We will see your mail is delivered to the new address.
Faculty on sabbatical
Oddly shaped articles (keys, bottle caps and pens) will not be accepted by the post office in letter-size, first-class envelopes. They do not fit in their machines or ours. They need to be in boxes or sandwiched in cardboard so that their bulk is obscured. Flat sized envelopes must be sealed, because the mail machine does not seal them.