October 2, 2020
Dear students, faculty, and staff,
As we continue to evaluate COVID-19 risks on campus and in our community, I want to provide you with an updated summary of our COVID-19 surveillance testing processes between now and November 22, the date the residence halls close for the fall term.
NUMBER OF TESTS WE WILL CONDUCT: In the past 30 days we have conducted approximately 3,900 surveillance tests. Going forward, our capacity is 11,900 tests in the remaining seven weeks (or 1,700 tests per week).
INCENTIVE: To incentivize people to show up for testing, we will be starting a weekly raffle. On a weekly basis, anyone who is tested will be entered to win a $50 gift certificate. The gift certificate will be awarded by the Monday following the previous week's testing.
WHO IS REQUIRED TO BE TESTED: The groups outlined below are expected to participate in testing as follows:
- Students and staff who live on campus-- Saliva testing should be completed twice weekly by all on the days and times selected at the start of the term.
- Faculty, students, and staff in the following groups: faculty and staff teaching in-person classes, including those working in science labs; community safety officers; custodial, maintenance, and residence life staff working in residence halls; any community members working with large groups; and faculty and staff working on campus who self-identify as having an increased risk of contracting COVID-19-- Saliva testing should now be completed once a week. All members of this group will receive an email by Friday of each week to sign up for a testing time the following week.
- Students living off-campus who access campus-- Of this group, we will select 30% (or about 200 students) each week to take a saliva test. This percentage provides us with a representative capture of this population with an acceptable margin of error. This may be adjusted as necessary, based on weekly assessments of the COVID-19 risks to the campus community. If you are selected for this testing, you will receive an email by Friday the week prior to sign up for a testing time.
- Newly hired staff-- All members of this group will be instructed to complete saliva testing once during their first week, and, if needed, will be included in the appropriate weekly testing group going forward.
- Bon Appétit staff-- Front-line workers in this group will be notified via email to sign up for and complete saliva testing once weekly.
- Health & Counseling Center (HCC) staff-- All members of this group are being tested regularly through the HCC.
If you believe you should be included in or removed from one of these groups, are selected for testing when you believe you should not be, need to make changes to your testing schedule, or have other questions or feedback on the testing process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to confidentially discuss with a member of Reed's COVID-19 Risk Assessment Group.
Madison Riethman, MPH, CPH
COVID-19 Response Coordinator and Health Project Manager
Health & Counseling Services