November 5, 2021
Dear students, faculty, and staff,
Below, we report to you four things you need to know today.
- The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Emergency Temporary Standard: OSHA filed an emergency temporary standard with the Federal Registry yesterday obligating private employers with 100 or more employees to require vaccination or weekly testing and masking for their unvaccinated employees. The final standard was adopted today, requiring full implementation by January 4, 2022. While Reed complies with the intent of the standard, Reed's COVID-19 Risk Assessment Group is discussing further policy that may be necessary to implement before January 4.
- NEW COVID-19 CASES: This week, we were notified of four new COVID-19 cases. Three of the cases were non-Reed community members and one was a Reed community member. The non-Reed community members were three individuals from the same household who attended Parent & Family Weekend (PFW). It is important to note that all registered PFW attendees provided proof of full vaccination. Additionally, all of the in-person sessions were below 25% room capacity (making physical distancing feasible), and face coverings were required and worn diligently. These important prevention measures go a long way in reducing the risk of COVID-19 transmission. Reed has conducted follow-up with any individuals identified as potential close contacts and provided them with information and testing resources. We have also notified all attendees of PFW.
- COVID-19 BOOSTERS AVAILABLE: Certain individuals are now eligible to receive booster vaccinations. These boosters are available at various community locations (including healthcare offices and pharmacies), as well as for eligible students at the Health & Counseling Center. Faculty and staff can assess their eligibility and make an appointment using the Kaiser app or by phone at 503-813-2000. Eligible students should contact the HCC by secure message in the Student Health Portal, through email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or via phone at 503-777-7281.
- SURVEILLANCE TESTING NEXT WEEK: Next week's surveillance testing schedule is below. Prior to attending testing, please know how to access your Predictive Labs account at client.predictivelabs.com.
- Tuesday, November 9, 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Greenwood
- Thursday, November 11, 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., Greenwood
If you have questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to the COVID-19 Risk Assessment Group at email@example.com.
Public Affairs, Reed College
Reporting on behalf of the COVID-19 Risk Assessment Group:
Gary Granger, Director of Community Safety
Mandy Heaton, Executive Director of Communications & Public Affairs
Karnell McConnell-Black, Vice President for Student Life
Kathy Oleson, Dean of the Faculty & Professor of Psychology
Tawana Parks, Dean of Students
Hugh Porter, Vice President for College Relations & Planning
Madison Riethman, COVID-19 Response Coordinator & Health Project Manager
Suzy Renn, Professor of Biology
Timmie Rochon, Medical Services Director
April Sams, Director of Risk Management & Environmental Health and Safety
Lynn Valenter, Vice President of Finance and Treasurer
PS: Our COVID-19 dashboard includes current information on the total number of cases, vaccination rate, and other public health indicators. Additionally, all our COVID-19 communications are cataloged here.