March 30, 2020
Dear Reed Students,
The staff of the Health and Counseling Center is concerned for your health and wellbeing and would like to provide you with the following update. Leaving campus, as well as staying on campus may be stressful, but we hope to provide helpful information to smooth your way and keep everyone healthy. As a friendly and important reminder, it is crucial to our community’s well-being to maintain social distancing measures for the benefit of all. Also, please refer to our previous communication to students containing additional information and FAQ.
The HCC will continue to provide services for students from 9–12 p.m. and 1–5 p.m., Monday through Friday, but will be temporarily transitioning to “telehealth” which means using phone or encrypted video (Zoom) for the majority of visits. For your health and ours, we ask that you do not come to the HCC without calling us for an appointment first. We will work with you to decide if a visit is needed and whether or not it can be accomplished via telehealth. If you have left Oregon to live out of state, our providers will work with you to connect you to resources in your community, as their licenses do not allow them to work with individuals who are living out of state.
How Telehealth Will Work
- When you make an appointment for a medical or counseling visit, you will receive a message in the Student Health Portal.
- In that message you will be given a Zoom meeting link with your appointment time. You will have the option to call in via telephone or via Zoom video. If calling in via telephone, dial the phone number in the Zoom invite and use the corresponding PIN number.
What to do if You Get Sick
IF YOU GET SICK with fever (100.4°F/38°C or higher), cough, or have trouble breathing:
- Call the HCC at (503) 777-7281 or your personal physician to discuss your symptoms.
- Your healthcare provider will provide guidance about where best to seek care.
- Isolate yourself and avoid contact with others.
- Follow the CDC Guidance for what to do when you are sick.
- If you are still living on campus and receive a positive COVID test result at another facility, we ask that you please inform the HCC immediately and isolate according to the CDC Guidance.
After Hours and 24/7 Resources
- After hours Nurse Advice Careline (please be patient as there will likely be a wait time): (800) 607-5501
- 24-Hour NurseLine Pacific Source Advice line (for those on the Reed Student Health Plan through Pacific Source): (855) 834-6150
- 24/7 Reed Counseling Hotline: (866) 432-1224
- On campus: Community Safety: (503) 788-6666 or 6666 from a campus phone
- Off campus: Portland Police/Ambulance: 911
Thank you for your continued trust in the HCC. Please visit our webpage for more information.
Wishing you the very best of health,
Staff of the Health and Counseling Center