June 11, 2020
Hello, Reed staff and faculty,
With the confirmation of the first COVID-19 case on campus, we want to provide additional information about what takes place when a staff or faculty member is exposed or believes they may have been exposed to COVID-19.
First, know that Multnomah County will take the lead on performing contact tracing. HR will contact you, too, however.
You will be considered exposed if you have had close contact with someone with COVID-19. Close contact is defined as having been closer than 6 feet from the person for a cumulative duration of 15 minutes while the person was contagious, irrespective of who was wearing a face covering.
In keeping with prior guidance, if you believe you have been exposed at work or elsewhere, you should:
- Stay home and call your supervisor to notify them you won't be in to work, and you believe you may have been exposed.
- Notify HR, even if you are already working from home.
- Contact your healthcare provider for advice.
- HR will contact you to provide support and next steps.
- If your exposure does not meet the definition of close contact, you will:
- Closely monitor for symptoms for 14 days.
- Do not allow new people into your 6-foot bubble for 14 days.
- Carefully follow guidance about physical distancing, wearing face coverings, and washing hands.
- Return to work the following day after you speak with HR.
- If your exposure does meet the definition of close contact, you will stay home and follow your healthcare provider's instructions about when to return to work. It is likely that you will be advised to quarantine for 14 days.
- In all cases, your healthcare provider will dictate if and when you will be tested for COVID-19. At this time, Reed will not test staff and faculty for COVID.
Please let one of us know if you have questions. Stay careful and stay healthy, Reed!
April Sams, director of risk management and environmental health and safety
Carrie Baldwin-Sayre, associate dean of students for health and wellbeing
Timmie Rochon, medical services director
Michelle Valintis, director of human resources