July 16, 2020
To: enrolled students
In my note below, I incorrectly stated the date for the department open houses. The link, however, is correct. https://www.reed.edu/dean_of_ faculty/protected/fall-2020-department-advising-sessions.html
Open houses will take place on Tuesday, July 21 as noted in earlier communications.
Thanks to those of you who caught that so quickly. I apologize for the error.
July 16, 2020
Good day to you,
You have received information about advising and registration and it's nearly time to update your fall schedule! I write with details about what to expect next week as we publish the updated Schedule of Classes, host department open houses, offer advising, and open SOLAR. We look forward to fall and working with you to make it a successful semester. We've missed you here on this beautiful campus.
Below are details that should be helpful, listed by date.
Monday, July 20 - Fall 2020 Schedule of Classes is updated to reflect the new times, rooms, and instruction modes for fall 2020. Some changes have been made to spring 2021, and we will continue updates as changes come in.
Monday, July 20 - Departments will host open houses to explain the different instruction modes and how their schedule has changed. Have a look at https://www.reed.edu/dean_of_ faculty/protected/fall-2020- department-advising-sessions.html. I encourage you to meet with faculty for these sessions.
Monday - Wednesday July 20-29 - Continuing students meet with their advisers to obtain their new PIN. Because the schedule has changed significantly, we want to be sure students meet with their advisers before making any changes. Check in IRIS for your adviser assignment. Some advisers have been updated due to sabbaticals, leaves, etc.
Thursday July 23 - Sunday August 2 - Continuing students access SOLAR to update their fall and spring schedules. SOLAR will open at 10am on July 23rd.
Monday August 3 - Sunday August 16 - New students access SOLAR to register for fall and spring. Continuing students will not have access to SOLAR during this time.
Monday August 17 - Wednesday August 26 - All students have access to SOLAR for final online registration.
Monday August 31 - fall semester classes begin!
Important to note:
- The scheduling template has changed to allow for more passing time between classes and to minimize the number of classes ending/starting at the same time. Some departments have changed when they are offering courses for which you registered. So while you are still in the courses for which you registered (unless they have been cancelled or new enrollment limits enforced), there may be schedule conflicts you will need to resolve by adding and dropping classes.
- Faculty have identified different instruction modes for the fall to help you understand how their online and in-person classes will work. Generally, there are four options: in person, in person with remote access, online, and online with optional in-person engagement. On Monday, when the Schedule of Classes is published, there will also be a link to structural descriptions for courses, where this will be explained fully.
- The spring schedule has not been updated with the new scheduling template because it is too early to know how spring will unfold. We anticipate more changes to spring, but most changes will be made closer to the November registration period.
- SOLAR will have a new look next week, which will make it easier to use on your phone. More on that next week.
- You may have noticed that Student Information is unavailable to you in IRIS while we update fall registration. It will be available no later than Tuesday morning, July 21 so you can check your fall registration. We still have updates to make based on changed enrollment limits, etc. We'll post an announcement at https://www.reed.edu/registrar/ as soon as it's available.
If you have questions about registration, email firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to seeing you in August, and wish you well.