August 7, 2020
Dear faculty and staff,
The COVID-19 Risk Assessment Group has received questions regarding how to access personal protective equipment (PPE) and cleaning supplies for the fall. See below for answers to the most frequently asked supply questions.
Sharing on behalf of the COVID-19 Risk Assessment Group
- Face coverings: Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) will provide two double-layer cloth face coverings for each community member who does not have access to a covering already. They are being handed out during the on-campus COVID-19 testing and are also available for pick up by appointment at EHS.
- Disposable non-medical face masks: EHS has disposable non-medical face masks available for community members who would like to have a supply on hand if employees, students, or visitors come to their departments without face coverings. They are available for pick up by appointment at EHS. Departments are also authorized to use their budgets to purchase disposable face masks for their specific needs. These can be purchased through a variety of different merchants (e.g., Amazon).
- Clear face masks: EHS has a supply of clear masks available for pick up by appointment at EHS. These masks are prioritized for students and student-facing staff and faculty who need the ability to read lips.
- KN95/N95 masks: EHS has a limited supply of KN95/N95 masks for front-facing staff in higher-risk operations (such as staff in the HCC staff, facilities, community safety, and residence life). EHS will also provide these masks to members of our community that are high-risk as defined by the CDC. Please contact EHS for assistance.
- Gloves: Washing your hands is the best way to reduce transmission of COVID-19. Gloves can provide a false sense of safety and could increase exposure if not worn properly. Gloves should be removed often, and hands should be washed before and after glove use. EHS has disposable gloves available for community members whose work involves cleaning, patient care, or transaction-based interactions. They are available for pick up by appointment at EHS. Departments are also authorized to purchase disposable gloves for their specific needs.
- Face shields: EHS has a supply of face shields available for community members. They are available for pick up by appointment at EHS. Departments are also authorized to use their budgets to purchase face shields for their specific needs. These can be purchased through a variety of different merchants (e.g., Amazon). Face shields should not be worn instead of face coverings, unless they are needed for an accommodation. The best practice is to wear both a cloth face covering and face shield inside buildings when you have community interactions.
- Thermometers: EHS has purchased 1,500 thermometers that are being distributed to students. The leftover supply is available for faculty and staff based on need. Contact EHS for more information.
- Plexiglass partitions: Facilities has a stock of plexiglass partitions and some availability to create custom partitions. If you need partitions for your office space or transaction areas, please contact facility services or complete a maintenance request form.
- Cleaning supplies: Cleaning supplies, including hand sanitizer, sanitizing wipes, spray bottles of disinfectant, and paper towels for intermittent cleaning will be set up on tables in all classrooms. Supplies will be monitored by facility services and replenished as needed. Contact facility services for more information. Departments are also authorized to use their budgets to purchase cleaning supplies as needed.
- Campus safety signage: Safety signage has been designed by public affairs and is being installed around campus by facility services. If you have customized signage needs, please contact public affairs. To access existing signage, contact Laurel Brown in facility services.
If you need more information regarding PPE or have specific needs related to PPE, contact April Sams in EHS. If you need more information regarding cleaning supplies, contact facility services.