August 5, 2021
We are so excited to welcome you to campus in just a few short weeks! As you prepare for your arrival, please review the important information and action items outlined below, and don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions.
In light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Reed College has instituted a COVID-19 vaccination requirement for the 2021-2022 academic year. The deadline to meet this requirement was August 1.
At this time, students who have not yet met this requirement can do so by taking one of the following actions:
- Upload proof of full vaccination with a US Food & Drug Administration Emergency Use or World Health Organization authorized COVID-19 vaccine to the Health and Counseling Center’s (HCC) Student Health Portal; or
- Upload documentation of a completed medical, religious, or personal/philosophical exemption to the HCC’s Student Health Portal; or
- Contact the HCC or the COVID-19 Risk Assessment Group (CRAG) to establish a plan to complete the requirement.
Reed will be holding a COVID-19 vaccination clinic open to all students on August 11, 18, 23, and 27. Clinics will take place from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM in the Performing Arts Building (PAB) room 104.
If you will not be fully vaccinated by a World Health Organization approved vaccine by your first day on campus, you must complete a COVID-19 test and submit results to the HCC through the Student Health Portal. This must be a molecular test (PCR or NAAT) collected within 3 days (72 hours) prior to your arrival. Students who provide proof of an appropriate test will not be required to quarantine.
Reed will have limited testing available on the following days for partially or fully unvaccinated students who are unable to obtain a test prior to their arrival:
- Wednesday, August 11, 8:00 AM to 11:00 AM, West PAB Entrance
- Wednesday, August 18, 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM, West PAB Entrance
- Monday, August 23, 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM, West PAB Entrance
- Friday, August 27, 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM, West PAB Entrance
Students testing upon their arrival are required to quarantine until results are received. Results are usually available within 24-48 hours, and can be accessed using the lab’s online portal.
Unvaccinated students should plan ahead to make sure they have submitted an appropriate test result beforehand or arrive during hours when testing is available. Unvaccinated residential students will not be permitted to move into their residence hall rooms if they have not taken an appropriate test.
Other Medical Record Requirements
A full list of Reed’s required medical records and instructions on how to complete them can be found on the HCC’s vaccinations and health records webpages. Students are required to submit these records prior to the first day of classes on August 30.
Daily Health Check
All students should begin completing the Daily Health Check two weeks prior to their first day on campus. This short, online survey is sent to all students via email every day, and allows HCC medical staff to provide timely, individualized follow up and guidance to those who may be at elevated risk for COVID-19. Daily Health Check responses are confidential, although students may be asked to show their “GO” message while on campus.
At this time, everyone on campus should carry a face covering and wear it in designated spaces or when asked. Generally speaking, face coverings are welcome but not required on the Reed campus. Some exceptions apply:
- Face coverings are required in the HCC, at the COVID-19 testing site, and while traveling on Reed-provided group transportation.
- Program managers and faculty may require all attendees wear face coverings during indoor events or classes.
- Visitors are required to wear face coverings in all indoor spaces.
- Individuals who are not fully vaccinated should wear a face covering in all indoor spaces.
Additionally, face coverings will be required for all individuals in residence halls and the Gray Campus Center (GCC) during move-in and Orientation on August 11, 18, 23, and 27.
Residential Student Arrivals
Students who will be living on campus for the fall 2021 semester must sign up for a move-in time. Students who still need to sign up or who would like to adjust their time should contact Megan Simón at firstname.lastname@example.org.
At your scheduled move-in time, please check in at the west entrance of the Performing Arts Building (PAB). Students will review their medical records with HCC staff, pick up their room key, and receive their Reed ID. To avoid crowding, we ask that guests remain in the PAB parking lot during the student’s check in process.
If you would like to request accommodations or assistance with move-in, please contact Residence Life. For more information, please visit Residence Life’s Fall 2021 Move-In webpage. Students will receive a more detailed move-in email a few days before their check-in time.
Karnell “Dr. K” McConnell-Black, Ed.D.
Vice President for Student Life