Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Prevention & Response

In February 2020, President Bilger established a Reed College COVID-19 task force charged with implementing recommendations made by government and public health authorities. The rapidly unfolding circumstances related to the coronavirus pandemic required all of us to make decisions and then revise them with a great deal of speed. Actions taken since the task force was convened can be found on the communications to the community page.

On May 1, 2020, President Bilger announced that a set of working groups would take over for the Reed COVID-19 task force. These working groups will complete specific assessments, which will include community input, and propose plans for the fall semester. The principal charge to all groups is to make recommendations on how Reed will present its academic program next year.

The college will announce plans for the fall by June 30. 

The college hopes and plans to offer our program on campus in the fall. All decisions about the academic program will be informed by local, state, and federal regulations and support our ongoing efforts to prioritize the health and safety of the Reed community. Reed aspires to offer our program under virtually any conditions that will allow our students to make expected academic progress. 

While we wish that we could make a determination sooner, this measured approach will allow sufficient time for Reed's working groups to gather community input, conduct thorough assessments, and develop detailed recommendations.

Below, you will find answers to frequently asked questions. The FAQs will be updated at the end of June to reflect the work of the planning groups.

Should you have questions, please send email to

Frequently Asked Questions 


How is Reed College monitoring the COVID-19 pandemic?

In February 2020, President Bilger established a Reed COVID-19 task force charged with implementing recommendations made by government and public health authorities. Since then, college officials have been monitoring the novel coronavirus pandemic.

The college has implemented recommendations made by government and public health authorities, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Oregon Health Authority (OHA), and Multnomah County Health. In addition to following guidelines, the college is responding to situations that might be unique to Reed.  

Governor Brown has convened a Coronavirus Response Team (CRT) tasked with coordinating state and local agencies and health authorities in preparation for the response to the virus. College administrators are participating in meetings and coordinating with the CRT. The college is also following OHA's public health recommendations for response to COVID-19 cases in Oregon schools.

On May 1, 2020, President Bilger announced new COVID-19 working groups covering college preparation, response, academic planning, student life, and financial planning. These working groups will complete specific assessments, which will include community input, and propose plans for the college’s fall semester. The principal charge to all groups is to make recommendations on how Reed will present its academic program next year.

Answer updated May 1, 2020, at 2 p.m.

How will community members learn more about Reed’s response to COVID-19?

Ongoing updates related to COVID-19 planning and response will be shared with the Reed community by email and posted on this page.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.

If I have specific questions or suggestions related to Reed's planning or response, whom should I contact?

Please email questions and suggestions to

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.


Will Reed implement a more stringent cleaning and sanitizing plan for the campus? If so, what will that entail?

Custodial staff have implemented emergency cleaning protocols for high-touch surfaces in all areas. This involves daily disinfecting of door knobs, light switches, counters, and seats as well as regular daily high-touch surfaces, e.g. faucets, toilets, and other restroom fixtures. Our E23 cleaning solution is approved to use against the coronavirus, and staff are trained to apply it with proper dwell times for effectiveness.

Facilities staff have been instructed to use personal protective equipment and to change their cleaning materials frequently in order to minimize the spread of germs and bacteria. All staff have been instructed to cover their cough, wash their hands frequently for 20 seconds with soap and water, and stay home if they have symptoms, especially fever. This is particularly important for staff working in high-contact areas, such as the residence halls.

Facilities staff have made contact with several area vendor services to provide help should we need assistance with more intense cleaning regimes that cannot be provided in-house. Deep cleans for areas such as the HCC and residence halls can be conducted by outside vendors with which we have ongoing relationships. This, however, could become more taxing if an outbreak occurs in the metro area, as these vendors have limited capabilities.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.

Do I need to wear a medical mask or a cloth face covering when on campus?

The CDC recommends that people wear a cloth face covering over their nose and mouth in a community setting. This is to protect people around you if you are infected but do not have symptoms.

The college recommends community members follow guidance issued by the CDC.

In light of the CDC recommendations, more details regarding face covering guidance were sent to faculty and staff at Reed.

Answer updated May 19, 2020, at noon.

What is the availability or acquisition path for protective gear?

The college has a supply of personal protective equipment (hooded coveralls, N-95 respirators, full face shields, protective eyewear, etc.) for staff required to care for infected students and staff who are responsible for environmental infection control. In order to conserve these resources, procedural/surgical face masks are being reserved for individuals who are currently experiencing symptoms of a respiratory illness.

Should you have questions about the availability of protective gear, including face masks or cloth face coverings, please contact Reed's Health and Counseling Center.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.

Does Reed provide free access to sanitizers around campus?

There are sanitizing stations around campus. In addition, individual offices have supplies. We increased availability of sanitizer in highly frequented areas. Additionally, the facilities office has a supply of sanitizing wipes and individual hand sanitizers on hand. We will distribute and monitor sanitizers according to need and requests.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.

Are there special precautions or advice for immunocompromised community members?

You should call your medical provider to get medical advice and determine if you need accommodation.
Community members who are immunocompromised should also follow current guidance relating to the prevention of illness and be mindful of their own health status, obtaining care quickly when needed and requesting accommodation when necessary.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.


Will Reed restrict travel?


All college-funded travel, both domestic and international, is suspended until further notice unless approved by a vice president.

The college will continue to closely monitor and adhere to CDC recommendations as well as advice from the US Department of State and other government agencies.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.


Will Reed cancel campus events?

Yes. On March 23, 2020, the State of Oregon issued a statewide Executive Order to "Stay Home, Save Lives." In compliance with this executive order, all in-person events at Reed are canceled or postponed until further notice.

After surveying seniors, families, and faculty, President Bilger and members of the COVID-19 task force made the decision to postpone Commencement 2020 and host an in-person ceremony at Reunions 2021. The college will communicate with seniors frequently over the coming months as Commencement plans become more detailed and certain.

Reunions 2020 has been canceled. Currently, virtual events during Reunions weekend (June 12–13, 2020) are being considered. As well, in-person class celebrations may be rescheduled for Reunions 2021. More information about Reunions is available on the alumni programs website.

If you have further questions about a specific campus event, please contact the office in charge of the event or the conference & events planning office.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.

New and prospective students

Will Reed’s admission office make changes to on- and off-campus admission programming?

Yes. Visits to campus are now online. We have developed digital resources and virtual visits that will allow prospective students and families to connect with the Reed community from afar. Our staff is on call to answer your questions at 503-777-7511 or

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.

Academic schedule and classes

How will classes transition to online instruction and what is the new academic schedule?

Classes will be held online through the end of the spring semester. Classes will be taught remotely using tools like Moodle, Google Apps for Education, Zoom, Meet, etc. 

One of the new COVID-19 working groups that will be announced at the end of April will cover academic planning. This working group will be charged with further scenario planning in response to COVID-19 for the fall. Our hope is that we will be back on campus in the fall. We will keep community members updated, and we plan to announce the fall schedule in late June or early July. 

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.

Has the college reviewed attendance and sick leave policies for students to discourage the use of perfect attendance awards and incentives?

Yes. Faculty members will allow for—and enable—appropriate absences for students who are unwell.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.

What are the deadlines and policies regarding spring 2020 courses?

Please see this communication sent to students on April 21, 2020. 

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.

Can I add or drop a class remotely?

Yes. The registrar’s office will accept scanned forms and requests by email that include the student's name, ID number, current semester, course code, course title and final number of enrolled credits. Friday, May 1, is the deadline to withdraw from a spring semester class. Monday, June 22, is the deadline to change a spring class (semester or year-long) to credit/no credit.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.

Can I declare my major remotely?


The registrar’s office recognizes that it will be difficult (if not impossible) to obtain adviser signatures, so they will accept email approvals.

Students should email a PDF of their completed form to their adviser, copying, with “Declaration of Major” in the subject line. If the adviser approves, they should forward the message (including the PDF) back to and cc the student. This way, the registrar will have verification of the form approval and the student will have verification that their form has been approved.

A useful resource for completing the major declaration form can be found on the registrar's office website.

Please contact Ben Bradley at with any questions.

Answer updated March 26, 2020, at 5:30 p.m.

Can I initiate a leave of absence or withdraw from the college remotely?

Please see this communication sent to students on April 21, 2020. 

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.

How have the restrictions changed for taking a course Credit/No Credit?

On April 21 the deadline to change a spring class (semester or year-long) to credit/no credit was extended to June 22. See here for more information. 

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.

I need PE credit in order to graduate on time. Will I be able to earn it remotely?

All in-person physical education classes are canceled for the remainder of the spring semester. Students who need PE credit in order to graduate on time—spring graduates who need 1 PE/CE credit, fall graduates who need 3 PE/CE credits, and juniors who need 5 PE/CE credits—may complete one PE credit this spring by working with Athletics, Fitness & Outdoor Programs to exercise and keep a fitness log.

Below is more information about the remote PE option. 

  • The remote PE option is only available to juniors and seniors who need to earn PE credit this quarter in order to graduate on time. 
  • The remote PE option is a self-directed PE course that will allow eligible students to receive one PE credit. 
  • The minimum requirement of the remote PE option is two 45-minute workout sessions per week. This is a six-week session, so 12 workouts must be completed by May 3. Students can retroactively log workouts completed after March 16 (the start of the fourth PE quarter). Students can miss a total of two workouts in this six-week session and still receive PE credit.
  • Students completing the remote PE option must log workouts in this fitness log. All workouts must be logged by May 3, 2020. Staff in Athletics, Fitness, and Outdoor Programs will track data weekly.
  • Students can complete any type or format of physical workout. The goal is to be active for 45 minutes per day at least twice a week. Many online workouts can be completed with no equipment.

If you have additional questions about the remote PE option, please contact Athletics, Fitness & Outdoor Programs.

Question updated March 30, 2020, at 5:30 p.m.

Academic support

What do I do if I need academic support during this time?

Reed realizes that tutoring is an important resource for many of our students. Tutoring will continue to be available to students for the remainder of the spring semester. Please see this communication that went to students on March 30. 

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.

International students

Is there specific guidance for Reed's international students?

International students will be able to maintain their student visa status while taking full-time online classes. SEVIS records will remain in active status as long as you remain enrolled in your courses and make normal progress.

Answer updated March 15, 2020, at 12:30 p.m.

Should I get a travel signature?

Check the date of the last signature on your I-20 or DS-2019 form. If your last signature will be less than a year old at the time of your next reentry into the US, you do not need a new travel signature. Travel signatures are valid for one year.

If your travel signature will be more than a year old by the time you plan to reenter the US, contact ISS at least 14 days before your flight, and we will mail you a new I-20 with an updated travel signature to use for your reentry.

Answer updated March 15, 2020, at 12:30 p.m.

What happens to my Optional Practical Training?

You must be physically present in the US at the time you apply for OPT. You can leave while the application is pending. If you have not yet applied for OPT and plan to leave the US, please contact Dana Lawson in the International Student Services Office (ISS) to complete your application before you depart. 

If you have already applied for OPT, you should not have a problem reentering the US before graduation since your I-20 form will still be valid. Remember that you must have all the required documents when reentering the US. If you want to reenter the US after graduation, you must have received your OPT approval from USCIS. A student who has graduated may not be allowed to reenter the US if the OPT application is still pending at USCIS. Please consider where you requested that your EAD card be sent. If you will no longer be at that address, please consult ISS. If your EAD card will be sent to the ISS office, we can send it to your address abroad once it is received.

Answer updated March 15, 2020, at 12:30 p.m.

How do I file taxes once I have left the US?

You can file your taxes outside the country. You can use Sprintax, print and sign the forms, and mail them.

Answer updated March 15, 2020, at 12:30 p.m.

Who should I notify before I leave Reed?

You are required to report any changes in your address to the International Student Services office (ISS) within 10 days of the address change. Please update ISS regarding any change to your physical address before the 10-day deadline. If you decide to move off campus or stay elsewhere in the US or Portland with friends or family, please contact ISS at to provide us with your new address. This includes any changes of address over the summer.

Answer updated March 15, 2020, at 12:30 p.m.

Will I be able to return to the US?

Regarding international mobility, it is difficult to predict if and when further restrictions will be put in place by the US for travelers returning from high risk countries.

Check the travel and visa restrictions that may be in place at the time you are planning to travel (the situation is changing daily). If you are currently outside the US or plan to travel outside the US, we recommend that you continue to monitor travel updates by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Currently, routine US visa issuance has been suspended worldwide. Reed's international student services office is carefully monitoring updates from the CDC, SEVP, USCIS, and the US Department of State, as well as updates from NAFSA: Association of International Educators, the leading professional organization dedicated to international education and exchange, which is providing comprehensive and up-to-date information relevant to travel, consulates, and visas.

Whom should I contact with questions about my F-1 or J-1 student status?

Contact Dana Lawson in the International Student Services office (ISS) with any questions. Dana is available by email, video call, or phone call to answer your questions.

Answer updated March 15, 2020, at 12:30 p.m.

My visa is expiring, and I am unable to travel to my home country currently. What should I do?

You may stay in the US on an expired F-1 or J-1 visa as long as you maintain your immigration status with a valid I-20 or DS-2019 and meet normal enrollment requirements.

My visa is expiring or has expired. If I leave the US now, but must come back after the expiration date of my visa, will I need a new visa, or can I re-enter on an expired visa?

If you leave the US and your visa will have expired by the date you wish to re-enter the US, then you will need to obtain a new visa at a US Embassy or Consulate before you can re-enter the US. Currently, routine US visa issuance has been suspended indefinitely worldwide.

Study abroad

How are study abroad programs impacted?

Reed College does not run its own study abroad programs; Reed students are enrolled in study abroad programs run by other institutions. The institutions that run the study abroad programs will determine the measures they will take related to COVID-19.

Reed works with students whose programs have been canceled on a case-by-case basis in an effort to mitigate the impacts on students’ academic progress. Whenever necessary, Reed also contacts programs that are closing to advocate fair outcomes.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.

What recommendations does Reed have for students who travel independently while on a study abroad program?

Reed College strongly recommends that everyone reconsider and limit personal travel to countries to which the CDC has attached a Level 3 Travel Health Notice (“avoid nonessential travel”) due to COVID-19. Students who are traveling should take precautions in terms of dealing with disruptions to their expected plans: they should let their program know, in writing, when and where they are traveling; they should travel with their passport, visas, and insurance documents; they should travel with additional supplies of any necessary prescription medications in their original packaging; they should travel with a cell phone and check their email regularly; and if they experience COVID-19-like symptoms (fever, coughing, shortness of breath), they should seek medical help and notify their program immediately.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.

Financial issues for students

What resources are available for students experiencing financial emergencies due to COVID-19?

The college is committed to supporting students who are experiencing financial difficulty or incurring additional expenses as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. Students who are experiencing financial insecurity should contact the financial aid office.

Reed College Emergency Loan and Emergency Funds may be available to support students who have short-term or one-time needs due to disruptions caused by the pandemic. Students can apply online

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.

What would happen to student financial aid if the college were to close temporarily or if a student were to become ill or quarantined and could not attend classes?

Students would continue to remain eligible for any financial aid they receive through the college. In addition, as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, the Department of Education’s Federal Student Aid Office recently released guidance that provides schools much greater flexibility in administering federal financial aid programs (Pell, SEOG, Federal Direct Loans, and Federal Work-Study). If you have questions, please contact Reed’s financial aid office.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.

Medical services and insurance

What should a community member do if they experience COVID-19-like symptoms?

Community members who experience symptoms consistent with COVID-19 should contact their medical provider and follow CDC guidance.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.

Will the Health & Counseling Center (HCC) continue to be available for students?

The HCC will continue to provide services for students Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (closed noon to 1 p.m.). To encourage physical distancing, the HCC has transitioned to telehealth appointments, which means using phone or encrypted video (Zoom) for the majority of visits. For your health and ours, we ask that you do not come to the HCC without first calling to make an appointment. We will work with you to decide if a visit is needed and whether or not it can be accomplished via telehealth. If you have left Oregon, our providers will help connect you to resources in your community, as their licenses do not allow them to provide medical or mental healthcare to individuals who are living out of state.

Telehealth appointments will work in the following way:

  • When you make an appointment for a medical or counseling visit, you will receive a message in the Student Health Portal.
  • In that message, you will be given a Zoom meeting link with your appointment time.
  • You will have the option to call in via telephone or via Zoom video. If calling in via telephone, dial the phone number in the Zoom invite and use the corresponding PIN number.
If you get sick and you have a fever (100.4°F/38°C or higher), a cough, or trouble breathing, take the following steps:
  • Call the HCC (at 503-777-7281) or your personal physician to discuss your symptoms. Your healthcare provider will provide guidance about where best to seek care.
  • Isolate yourself and avoid contact with others.
  • Follow CDC guidance for what to do when you are sick.
  • If you are still living on campus and receive a positive COVID-19 test result at another facility, we ask that you please inform the HCC immediately and isolate according to CDC guidance
The following after-hours and 24/7 resources are available to you:
  • After-hours nurse advice care line (please be patient as there will likely be a wait time): 800- 607-5501
  • 24-Hour PacificSource NurseLine (for students on the Reed student health plan through Pacific Source): 855-834-6150
  • 24/7 Reed counseling hotline: 866-432-1224
  • Community safety: 503-788-6666 or 6666 from a campus phone
  • Portland Police/Ambulance: 911

Please visit the HCC web page for more information.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 2 p.m.

Will the Health and Counseling Center (HCC) provide COVID-19 testing?

Reed's Health and Counseling Center (HCC) can perform COVID-19 testing for students, but testing supplies are limited. The HCC will follow the guidance of the Oregon Health Authority and the Multnomah County Health Department when determining the criteria for testing individuals for the coronavirus.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 2 p.m.

How do I find out more about on-campus Health and Counseling for students?

Learn more about Reed's Health and Counseling Center (HCC) for students by visiting the HCC website. Other health and wellbeing resources for students include:

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.

How will the common cold be operationally distinguished from COVID-19?

Medical decision-making is based on the symptoms that a person is presenting, the severity of the illness experienced, and the coexistence of other medical conditions and risk factors. Community members who exhibit fever, cough, or shortness of breath should seek medical attention for a determination of whether the threshold for testing for COVID-19 has been met.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.

Will the Reed Student Health Insurance Plan cover students when they are back home?

Yes, students will continue to be covered when they return home. Students can find in-network providers through PacificSource. Students should always ask both the facility and physician to confirm that they are in-network.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.

Student work

How will this change in Reed’s operations affect students who work on campus?

On Sunday, March 15, Reed announced that classes would be held online and that students would need to petition to remain in residence on campus.  

When possible, student work supervisors will provide alternative ways for students to work through the remainder of the spring 2020 semester. Student work may not be performed remotely after the semester ends on May 14, 2020. Please see the Summer 2020 Student Work Policy for information about summer student work. Contact with questions about this policy. 

In the event that shifts are canceled, student workers are eligible to use accrued Oregon Paid Sick Leave for hours that they were scheduled to work during a closure or that they missed due to illness. Instructions for using sick leave can be found in the Student Worker Handbook.

Students with a financial aid work award who are unable to work during the remainder of their award due to a departure from campus or canceled shifts may receive a payout for their remaining scheduled hours up to the amount of their maximum work award. Additional details will be provided to students with work awards via email. Students can contact with questions about this. 

Answer updated April 24, 2020, at 11 a.m.

Food services

What protections will the college implement in terms of food service and food handling?

Reed is working closely with Bon Appétit (BA), the college's food service provider. The following measures have been implemented. 

  • Increased daily messaging to staff about personal hygiene and handwashing protocols. 
  • Implemented the use of Diversey Oxivir TB disinfectant on frequently touched surfaces.
  • Closed the scrounge for the remainder of the spring semester.
  • Expanded the hours of and food available at the Reed Community Pantry.  
  • Suspended the use of personal reusable cups as a precautionary measure. During this time, BA will not charge for a paper cup.
  • Closed the Commons dining room—Commons will be providing take-out service only for the remainder of the spring semester.
  • Stopped accepting cash payments in Commons for the remainder of the spring semester.
  • Posted signs around campus that reiterate the importance of social distancing, including maintaining a distance of at least three feet in Commons.
  • Eliminated all self-service items (salad bar, pizza, etc.) in an effort to limit cross-contamination and will now only provide food, beverages, and condiments served by a BA employee. Utensils, napkins, and other accoutrements, such as lids, stir sticks, and straws, will also be provided by BA employees. Read more about this switch to full service and where items will be located.
Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.

Are plans in place for feeding students who are self-isolating—whether or not they are on the Reed meal plan?

Yes. Reed will provide meal service for all self-isolating students who live on campus. Bon Appétit has confirmed that it has processes in place to provide food for such students. Meals can be ordered through the wellness meal delivery form.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.

Student housing

What has the college done to protect students who live on campus?

To protect the health of students, Reed made the decision to send the majority of students home for the remainder of the spring semester.

Students were invited to petition to remain on campus and asked to explain their reason(s), which included the following:
  • I share a permanent residence with an older adult, pregnant person, or person with a compromised immune system/chronic medical condition (per CDC guidelines).
  • I have a compromised immune system/chronic medical condition (per CDC guidelines) and wish to limit travel.
  • I am from a country with travel bans or CDC Level 2–3 travel advisories in place or have visa issues for travel.
  • I am without a permanent or safe alternative home.
  • I cannot complete academic work remotely, e.g. no reliable access to Internet, need access to lab space for thesis.
  • I have a significant hardship or extenuating personal circumstances (evaluated on a case-by-case basis).
A small group of professional staff, including representatives from the financial aid office, disability & accessibility resources, and international student services (ISS), reviewed these petitions and notified students of decisions by March 20.

Below is a summary of the timeline: 
  • March 15: Petition to remain in on-campus housing opened. Applications were reviewed and students informed of the status of their petition on a rolling basis.
  • March 19 at noon: Deadline to fill out housing form—all students filled out the same form, but some were redirected to questions related to petitioning to stay on campus beyond March 27 at 5 p.m.
  • March 20: All students were notified of the status of their petition by March 20 at 5 p.m.
  • March 27: All students not approved to stay on campus moved off campus for the remainder of the semester.

Approximately 150 students were approved to remain on campus. These students have been relocated to residence halls that allow adequate space for state-mandated social-distancing measures to be upheld.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.

What will happen to the belongings I left on campus when I departed?

Students were asked to indicate on the housing form whether they left belongings on campus. Residence life will be in touch with those students via email by May 1 to make a plan. That plan could involve donations, shipping, student/approved family or friend returning to campus, storage, etc. 

Students were advised that bikes and cars registered with community safety may remain on campus. They were asked to leave vehicles in approved parking spaces and secure bikes in indoor bike storage.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.

What if I am interested in summer housing at Reed?

For more information about summer housing at Reed, see this communication from the student life office.

Answer updated April 25, 2020, at 9 a.m.

What is the process for room registration for 2020–21?

Please see this communication sent to students on Tuesday, April 21.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 11:30 a.m.

Community safety

How have community safety's operations been impacted by COVID-19?

The Reed College community safety team will continue to operate with on-campus staff 24/7. The following information outlines key services that will continue as well as those that have been modified in order to support the college’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic:

  • Community safety officers (CSOs) will make every effort to stay at least six feet away from others while moving through and around buildings.
  • CSOs may use megaphones in outdoor areas to address groups or individuals where closer contact is impractical or not appropriate in order to be heard at a distance.
  • CSOs will wear protective gloves when handling lost and found items.
  • CSOs will continue to respond to all calls for medical concerns on campus but will maintain six feet of physical distance from the person.
  • For minor concerns, CSOs will provide first aid supplies to people for self-use by the person.
  • CSOs may contact Emergency Medical Services (EMS) to assist with medical calls that require hands-on assessment or care.
  • CSOs may contact EMS to assist with people experiencing symptoms associated with COVID-19 or who are presumed or known to be COVID-19 positive.
  • CSOs will perform unlocks while maintaining six feet of physical distance from others.
  • Access to facilities is limited to essential functions and persons requesting access must be able to demonstrate a verifiable college-related reason to access the space.
  • CSOs will walk with people to and from locations on campus for safety purposes while maintaining six feet of physical distance.
  • CSOs may use a vehicle to transport someone for safety reasons, but the person(s) must not be experiencing a cough, fever, or shortness of breath, or be presumed to be COVID-19 positive. The person(s) shall wear a face mask during the transport. The CSO will provide one, if available. The person(s) shall disinfect their hands before entering the vehicle or wear protective gloves during the transport. The CSO may provide these if available. The person(s) shall ride in the rear passenger seats.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.

Are campus facilities still open?

All campus facilities will remain locked and require swipe cards for entry 24/7. Access for all persons is limited to those people performing essential college functions. Student access has been modified as follows:

  • Students will retain access to the Gray Campus Center (GCC) from 6 a.m. to midnight to access food (including the food pantry) and mail services. They will also retain access to Eliot Hall from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. to access administrative functions, their assigned residence hall, and areas required to perform essential college functions if employed by the college.
  • Students will not have access to the sports center, academic class and study spaces (classrooms, lecture halls, labs, studios, practice rooms, etc.), or shared student spaces (pool hall, information resources areas, radio station, etc.).

Community members who have questions about their access should contact their department head, the person overseeing the space, or email Requests for access changes will be reviewed by Community Safety Director Gary Granger and other appropriate staff on a case-by-case basis.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.


Will Reed library services change and can a community member access services remotely?

For more information about the Reed library, please visit their website.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.

Business office

Will I receive a refund for room and board charges?

Room and board base charges for students moving off campus will be prorated. Initial charges posted to the business office account will be reversed and the prorated fees added. All students on campus were asked to fill out a form and indicate their move-out date. The move-out date on that form will be used to prorate the room and board base charges.

Students who moved off campus had their board plans deactivated on March 27 at 5 p.m. Any unused board or board add-on points at the time of deactivation on March 27 will be credited in full.

Due to the extraordinary nature of the current situation and as a way to further assist students, the college made a one-time exception to policy and will not reduce financial aid due to changes in living arrangements this semester. Normally, financial aid is reduced if a student moves off campus.

Not all room and board credits will result in a refund—it will depend on your business office account balance before the charges are prorated. You can check your account balance online in Student Account Center.

Please contact the business office at with any additional questions.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 3:30 p.m.

How is the room and board base refund calculated?

The college is using the Department of Education's (DoE) daily refund schedule, which does not include spring break. As a result, the refund percentage of 46% for the first day of the break (March 20) is the same as the last day of the break (March 29). Below is an excerpt of the DoE’s refund schedule:

Date Moved Off Campus = Refund %

March 12 = 54%
March 13 = 53%
March 14 = 52%
March 15 = 51%
March 16 = 50%
March 17 = 49%
March 18 = 48%
March 19 = 47%
March 20–March 29 = 46%
March 30 = 45%

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 3:30 p.m.

When will I receive my refund for room and board charges?

Please email refund instructions to the business office at

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 3:30 p.m.

Will the cashier’s window be open?

No. Due to health and safety concerns, the business office cashier is working remotely. Below, please find more information about specific cashier services.

Honored citizen TriMet passes: please email the card number on the back of your TriMet pass and your Reed ID number to We will load your card with the available month’s pass. There is no charge for this.

Student adult TriMet passes: using your Reed email account, please email the card number on the back of yourTriMet pass and Reed ID number to We will load your card with the available month’s pass and charge $50 to your business office account. You can pay this charge through the “Make a Payment” option on our site or drop a check in our mailbox near the faculty lounge on the third floor of Eliot Hall. Our mailbox is marked with green tape.

Faculty and staff adult TriMet passes: using your Reed email account, please send an email to with the card number on the back of your TriMet pass, your Reed ID number, and written authorization to deduct $50 from your next paycheck as payment for the pass.

Retiree healthcare payments: at this time, we kindly request that payments be made by check and mailed to the college.

If you have an emergency need for cashier services, please contact Sheila Johnson at

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 3:30 p.m.

Will the disbursement process be impacted?

Yes. The business office is processing one check run each Friday. Disbursement forms and all backup documentation should be emailed to Delana Libbus at and cc'd to Irene Lyczko at Emailed forms received prior to 5 p.m. on Wednesday will be processed in the Friday check run.

You may also drop paper forms off in the business office box in Eliot Hall. Disbursements received prior to 5 p.m. on Wednesday will be processed in the Friday check run.

In case of an emergency need for a non-payroll check, please contact Irene Lyczko at

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 3:30 p.m.

I need to pay a vendor or submit a disbursement request form for a student, faculty member, or staff member. If I am working remotely, how do I get the paperwork to the business office?

Faculty and staff who are working remotely should email disbursement requests or invoice vouchers to Delana Libbus at and cc Irene Lyczko at Faculty and staff who are working from campus can submit hard copies to the business office mail box in Eliot Hall.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 3:30 p.m.

How do I reconcile my P-card statement and submit materials to the business office by the deadline if I am working remotely?

Please direct questions about P-card statements to Irene Lyczko at

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 3:30 p.m.

My department had a speaker scheduled to come to campus, but the event was canceled either by Reed or the speaker. Should I still pay their fee or reimburse their pre-arranged travel expenses (e.g. airfare) even though they did not come to campus?

If possible, the speaker should be rescheduled and any travel credits issued should be applied accordingly. If it is not possible to reschedule, the budget manager has discretion to reimburse for any travel expenses incurred and/or the speaker’s fee. Additional funding will not be provided nor will any unused funds be rolled forward to next fiscal year.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 3:30 p.m.

Sports Center

Will the sports center stay open?

The Reed sports center closed at noon on Wednesday, March 18. It will reopen when possible in conjunction with relevant guidelines.

The college also closed the Reed ski cabin in Government Camp on Monday, March 16.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.

Computing & information services

What computing & information services support is available?

Computing & Information Services put together a page of resources for students, faculty, and staff. Here you will find answers to questions regarding computer and telephone needs.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 9:45 a.m.


Will the bookstore ensure that students have access to materials they need to complete their courses?

In the transition to online learning, some students will lose access to course materials that they previously shared with classmates or instructors or accessed through the library. The Reed Bookstore is partnering with VitalSource, a digital course materials provider, and other publishers to launch VitalSource Helps, a program that will provide access to e-books for Reed students and faculty through May 25. Students can access these materials at

Answer updated March 16, 2020, at 11:45 p.m. 

Mail services

Is mail services open?

Beginning April 6, mail services will be open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.

The customer service window will be open from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Because only one person will be on staff, the window may be closed for brief periods during this time for errands. Please continue to maintain six feet of distance while waiting in line and at the service window.

The mail services cash register is closed. To reduce close contact between staff and customers, mail services will charge shipments and postage through department accounts only.

Currently, there are no regular delivery and pick-up routes. Department mail and packages are available for pick up at mail services. Notices will be sent by email to alert recipients when packages have arrived on campus. Letter mail will be held until recipients are able to pick it up. Mail services will continue to schedule and process bulk mailings as needed.

Mail services asks that students, faculty, and staff refrain from having non-essential items shipped to the college at this time.

If you have questions, please email or call 503-777-7214.

Answer updated April 2, 2020, at 3:30 p.m.

Does mail services have packing supplies available?

Yes, but supplies are limited. 

Answer updated March 16, 2020, at 11:30 a.m. 

How do students confirm a forwarding shipping address?

Students should log in to IRIS and and update their forwarding address. 

Answer updated March 16, 2020, at 11:30 a.m. 

Staff and faculty

What is Reed’s policy regarding sick time for staff and faculty who contract COVID-19 or have a family member who contracts COVID-19?

The college has instituted C19 (short for COVID-19) time off to afford pay for work missed due to the pandemic. Staff will mark their timesheet for time off due to the pandemic. C19 shall be used for time off related to one’s own COVID-19 illness, the COVID-19 illness of a family member, or other time off, such as needing to care for a child due to school closure or having their shift cancelled due to COVID-19. In all cases, if a staff member works from home for the entirety of their shift, they will be paid regular time and do not need to mark anything on their timesheet. Sick time is to be used only for non-COVID-19 illness.

Faculty can view their time off policies in the faculty handbook.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 11:30 a.m.

Should staff and faculty wear medical masks or cloth face coverings at work?

The CDC has recommended wearing cloth face coverings when outside the home and in situations where social distance may be hard to maintain.

With this in mind, Reed College issues the following guidance to staff and faculty:

  • Cloth face coverings are required at all times in shared spaces, including hallways, bathrooms, break rooms, and conference rooms.
  • Cloth face coverings are required indoors when others are present in the same work area.
  • Cloth face coverings are not required outdoors if a physical distance of six feet can be maintained.
  • Cloth face coverings are not required indoors when others are not present, except in shared spaces.
  • Wearing a cloth face covering does not substitute for physical distance of six feet. All staff and faculty are expected to maintain a physical distance of six feet from others whether indoors or outdoors.
  • Department directors are authorized to issue additional guidance that is specific to their groups and work areas.
  • All staff and faculty should have at least two cloth face coverings, so that one may be washed each night to prevent build-up of bacteria.

If you need a face covering, you may email to request one or purchase one at the Reed bookstore. Please contact April Sams, director of risk management & environmental health and safety, or Michelle Valintis, director of human resources, with questions.

Answer updated May 19, 2020, at noon. 

How will the college implement social-distancing recommendations in the workplace?

As a workplace, the college follows guidance from the state regarding sick time, social distancing, and working from home where feasible. Reed has transitioned to flexible staffing to keep offices open and services available. Offices will continue to perform their functional responsibilities. Department directors will design plans that ensure offices are kept open and services available but allow for staff whose jobs do not require them to be on campus to work from home. While at work on campus, staff will observe social distancing of at least six feet.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 11:30 a.m. 

Will Reed direct supervisors to communicate with employees about staying home from work when sick?

Reed directs all employees who are ill to stay home from work. Supervisors are asked to reiterate this with the staff who report to them.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 11:30 a.m. 

I am a staff member and I am concerned that if I get sick or my family member gets sick, I will not have enough sick time accrued. What should I do?

The college has instituted C19 (short for COVID-19) pay for work missed due to the pandemic. If you are at home and unable to work because you or your family member is ill with COVID-19 or you need to provide child care due to school closure, you will mark C19 on your timesheet for any hours that you are unable to work while you are home. If you are able to work from home in these instances, you are asked to do so; you will receive your regular pay and you will not mark C19 on your timesheet.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 11:30 a.m. 

If I am a staff or faculty member and I am immunocompromised, are there special precautions I should take?

You should call your medical provider to get medical advice and determine if you need accommodation. If your medical provider suggests an accommodation, you may initiate the process in the HR office or the dean of the faculty office.

Answer updated April 23, 2020, at 11:30 a.m.