House Advisor Search
Securing a Quality Evalution
Some things to think about when you are seeking an HA or Faculty/Staff evalution:
- Always ask first for a recommendation or evaluation from someone prior to putting them as a reference on any application.
- Select an evaluator who knows you well and can speak to your strengths in relationship to the HA position description
- If at all possible, give your evaluator at least two weeks to write your evaluation.
- Provide your evaluator with clear directions on what type of evaluation you need, how and to whom it needs to be submitted, and the deadline by which it needs to be submitted.
- When asking for a recommendation or evaluation, ask if your evaluator is able to both supply you with an evaluation by the deadline and also provide you with a positive yet honest evaluation.
- If at all possible, use your current HA as your evaluator.
- If you currently live off-campus, ask for a recommendation from your past HA or from a current HA who can speak to your strengths.
Seek out a faculty or staff member who knows you well and can also speak to your strengths as a leader.
- It will be difficult for the selection committee to review a recommendation that strictly refers to your academic skills.
- Make sure to provide your evaluator with the evaluation form and a deadline for submission.
- Check in with your evaluator a few days before the deadline to ask if they have any questions and to ensure that they still are able to make the deadline.