A. A. KNOWLTON LABORATORY
In 1967, the biology building was modified and an extension on the north side created the A. A. Knowlton Laboratory of Physics. (Ansel Alphonso Knowlton was a distinguished professor of physics at Reed from 1915 to 1948.) Physics students have access to a one-meter high resolution spectrometer, a cosmic ray muon detector, a closed-cycle helium refrigeration system, a temperature-scanning transient photocapacitance system, a thin-film sputter couture, a pulsed nitrogen laser, a research-level Fourier transform infrared spectrometer, a new astrophysics lab, and a scientific computation laboratory. Seniors in both physics and biology are given lab or office space, depending on their thesis needs.