The first cross-canyon bridge was constructed in 1959. It spans the distance between the cross-canyon residence halls (Chittick and Bragdon) and lies just north of Eliot Hall.
The unusual design of this bridge, the only one of its kind in the world, was the result of more than a year's research by the architect and a plywood company. The bridge was supported by two cantilevers of pre-stressed plywood and covered with a thin canvas membrane, which was eventually determined to be too slippery. The current bridge, built in 1992, won the coveted "Excellence in Concrete" award from the American Concrete and Aggregate Producers Association.