Emergency/Additional Assistance

Students experiencing financial hardship should first contact the Financial Aid Office. Your counselor will work with you to understand more about your situation and determine the best available resource to meet your needs. If the nature of your financial challenge falls outside the scope of what financial aid is permitted to cover, you may be referred to the Student Emergency Fund or the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund for assistance.

Please note: funds received from donation-based crowdfunding sources such as GoFundMe, mutual aid funds, student group funds (including SOS), or any other monetary gifts received from sources outside of Financial Aid or the Student Emergency Fund, can have a negative impact on aid eligibility going forward. Funds received from these sources must be reported on your CSS Profile and FAFSA as “money received or paid on your behalf” and could reduce or eliminate your eligibility for certain types of federal aid. 

Tax liability is something else you should consider. While In general, money received through crowdfunding sources are considered to be gifts and not taxable, there are numerous circumstances to take into consideration when accepting these types of funds and we recommend you consult a tax professional to make sure you fully understand any potential tax implications.

Student Emergency Fund

The Student Emergency fund is a limited resource available to students who have short-term or one-time needs that are deemed immediately vital to the personal health or academic well-being of the student. Priority is given to students with financial need who have exhausted all forms of financial aid. Complete this form to request funding.

Reed Emergency Loan

The Reed Emergency Loan serves students who are experiencing financial hardship and are unable to receive assistance from their parents or family members on an emergency short-term basis; typically limited to $500 or less and must be repaid by the end of the semester in which the loan is made. Students should contact Sara Rosenberger in the Business Office for more details.

Reed Health Insurance Grant

Limited funding may be available to assist students with the cost of Reed Health Insurance. To qualify for full or partial assistance, students must 1) demonstrate exceptional financial need as demonstrated by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and/or the CSS Profile; 2) be unable to obtain health insurance through any other sources; and 3) have accepted their offered loan and work awards. Contact the Financial Aid Office for further information.

Thesis Printing Cost Reimbursement

Thesis printing cost reimbursement up to $125 is available to Pell eligible domestic students and international students with similar family contributions. Complete this form to request reimbursement.