Establishing and Maintaining Eligibility

Students who fail to maintain eligibility for federal or state grant programs will not have these resources replaced with institutional grant funds.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

To maintain eligibility for all types of financial aid at Reed College, students must make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) towards a degree. SAP standards are based on federal regulations and apply to federal, state, and institutional financial aid. Financial aid SAP standards may differ from academic standards administered by the Registrar's Office for the faculty.

Satisfactory academic progress for financial aid recipients at Reed College is defined as earning a minimum of three units per semester and maintaining a minimum term and cumulative 2.0 grade point average. These requirements will be reviewed at the end of each semester.

Incomplete coursework is not considered earned until the coursework has been completed and a grade has been recorded. Students must notify the Office of Financial Aid if they wish to have their SAP status re-reviewed upon completion of coursework. 

Withdrawals from coursework do not count toward units earned or GPA requirements for SAP.

For federal funding (such as Pell Grant, SEOG, Federal Work Study, Perkins Loan, Direct Loan, and PLUS Loan), eligibility is limited to a total of 12 semesters of college attendance. For institutional funding, eligibility is limited to a total of 8 semesters of attendance at Reed.

What happens if you fall below minimum SAP requirements?

You will be placed on Financial Aid Warning for the following semester. During the semester you are on Financial Aid Warning you:

  • are eligible to receive financial aid
  • must complete a minimum of 3 units with a 2.0 semester and cumulative grade point average

If you do not meet the minimum units and grade point average standard during the Financial Aid Warning semester, you will be placed on Financial Aid Suspension. During Financial Aid Suspension you:

  • are not eligible to receive federal, state, or institutional financial aid
  • may appeal the financial aid suspension

Appealing Financial Aid Suspension

If you fail to meet SAP standards and have been placed on Financial Aid Suspension, you may appeal. Appeals must:

  • be submitted in writing to the Financial Aid Office.
  • be based on special, unusual, or extenuating circumstances causing you undue hardship. Examples may include a death in the family, student injury or illness, or other special circumstances
  • include an explanation of the special, unusual, or extenuating circumstances causing undue hardship that prevented you from making SAP.
  • include an explanation of what has changed in your situation that would allow you to demonstrate SAP by the end of the next semester.

Supporting documentation may be required.

Appeals are reviewed by the Financial Aid Appeals Committee whose decisions are final.

If your appeal is approved, you will be placed on Financial Aid Probation for the upcoming/current semester. You are eligible to receive financial aid during the Financial Aid Probation semester. If, during probation, you complete a minimum of 3 courses with a semester grade point average of 2.0 or above, you will be returned to good standing. If you do not, you will be placed back on Financial Aid Suspension.


Institutional grant funding is awarded for full-time, undergraduate study. Part-time students are ineligible for institutional funding, and eligibility for federal funding will be pro-rated based on the number of units in which the student is enrolled.