Themes of Recent Theses
- Sabine Bischofberger, "On the Shores of the Ionian Sea": A Translation
- Sasha Peters, "The State Built by Stalin Still Lives": The Intersections of Soviet Industrialization and Russian Nationalism in Policy and Literature
- Olivia Capozzalo, Inscribing Memory: Lyrical Subject in the Memoir-Prose and Post-Holocaust Poetry of Boris Slutsky
- Madeline Kinkel. Suspended and Without Salvation: Apocalypse and the Empty Christ in Andrei Platonov's "The Foundation Pit"
- Kate Weinreich. The (Im)possibility of Bearing Witness: Representations of Trauma in Soviet Literature
- Chang Woo Seo. Staff Captain Rybnikov
- Rosalind Lewis. "Nadgrobnyj madrigal": Russian-American funerary Aesthetics in California and Oregon (Russian/Art)
- Auden Lincoln-Vogel. Surreal Returns (Russian/Art)
- Marija Perunovic. "The Rise and Fall of Ikar Gubelkijan": a Translation
- Justin Radtke. Vasily Zhukovsky's Ballads: Their Themes and Christian-Spiritual Meanings
- Joseph Jatcko. False Fathers: Marlen Khutsiev’s "Ilich’s Gate" and the Myth of Soviet Paternity (MALS)
- Caroline Brickman. Non-Memoirs: An Annotated Translation of Yuri Mikhailovich Lotman's "Ne-memuary"
- Tess Halavy. Yesterday and Today: The Children's Books of Kornei Chukovsky and Samuil Marshak in the Early Soviet Era (Russian/Art)
- Paul Hermanson. "The Perceiver Merges with the Artist": James Agee, Leo Tolstoy, and the Drive toward an Ideal of Artistic Communication (General Literature)
- Alexandra Tatarsky. To the Letter: Theologies of Translation in Joseph Brodsky's "Isaac and Abraham"
- Ryan Connors. Larisa Shepitko's "Wings": Its Cinematic Aesthetic and Cultural Meaning
- Elisabeth Garry. The Holy Fool in "Crime and Punishment" and "Wise Blood"
- Katherine Marshall. The Figure of the Goalkeeper in Stalinist Culture
- Lila Seidman. Selves Mimicking Stories Creating Selves (Russian/Psychology)
- Andrew Wilder. Mandelstam's 1932: "Journey to Armenia, "Lamarck," and "To the German Language"
- Matthew Kendall. To a Heightened State: Sergei Eisenstein's "The General Line'"
- Piper Wheeler. Like a Severed Head: Apocalypse in Isaac Babel's "Konarmiia"
- Adams Pope Carroll III. [Uezzhaet Poslednii t=Tramvai] : The Symbology of the Streetcar in 20th Century Russian literature
- Sophie Case-Gabbard. An Exploration of Exile in Gaito Gazdanov's "Buddha's Return"
- Hardie Duncan. The Early Films of Otar Iosseliani
- Miriam Miller. Two Versions of "The Twelve Chairs" : Texts of Appropriation and Revolution
- Jennifer Sherman. "Poshlost'" in the Russian Literary Tradition : Romanticism, Symbolism, and Nabokov
- Lauren Abman. Lethal journalism : Anna Politkovskaya and the High Art of Investigative Journalism (Russian)
- Molly Cohen. Time for Another Apocalypse? : Shifting Conceptions of Russian Emptiness in the Works of Andrei Bely and Viktor Pelevin
- Lisa Horner. Dmitrii Lipskerov's "Elena and Helmsman" : Translation and Analysis
- Matt Zimo. The Tradition of Andrei Tarkovsky
- Naomi Dickerson. KomMissia and the Russian Comics Subculture (research support from the Reed College Opportunity Grant)
- James Meador. Moscow Tantric Blues: Bidiya Dandaron's Letters to Nataliya Kovrigina 1956-1959 (Russian/Religion)
- Jesse Hadden. A Foreign Affair: The Romance Tour in Post-Soviet Russia (Anthropology / Russian)
- Hunter O'Folan. We All Think Differently?: A Translation and Analysis of Vasilii Shukshin's "Point of View"
- Marlene Kelly. Semiotics of etiquette in Tolstoy's "Anna Karenina": shifting forms of address and diglossia as markers of transgression in nineteenth century Russian aristocratic society
- Alea Adigweme. "See What a Husband You Have? You Can Make Us Some Jam": A Discussion of Marriage, Social Policy, and Culture in Abram Room's "Bed and Sofa"
- Benjamin Boyce. Narrating Selfhood in Andrei Platonov's "Happy Moscow"
- Hillary Brevig. Vladimir Sorokin's "Dostoevsky-Trip": Translation and Analysis
- Lauren Pope. Where Do We Go From Here? Siberian Village Life After the Thaw
- Margaret Anderson. The Decline of Liberal Democracy in Putin's Russia (Russian / Political Science)
- Sara Lafleur-Vetter. Russia At The "Post": Reading the Changing Role of Literature in Russia through the Prism of Post-Soviet Publishing Houses (Russian / Anthropology)
- Daniel Lichterman. "The Headless Man": A Lifelong Literary Ambition Composed for the Desk: an Exploration of "Bricolage" and Storytelling within Isaac Babel's "Childhood Cycle" (English)
- Jessica Sanders. "How Unfairly Writers Complain that We Don't Live in Romantic Times": Alexander Bestuzhev-Marlinsky's "The Cuirassier"
- Rebecca Sullivan. Iurii Olesha's "Strogii Iunosha" and the Stalinist Aesthetic
- Alison Beth Annunziata. Corporal Suffering and the Corporate Whole: An Examination of the Suffering Body-in-Text in Soviet and Post-Perestroika Narratives.
- Rachael Horst. Cincinnatus' Criminal Intuition: The Contexts of Nabokov's "Invitation to a Beheading".
- Michael Jack Rencewicz. The Children Re-Forged: "Pedagogicheskaia Poema" in its Stalinist Context.
- Christopher Cabot Wood. Selected Poems of Dmitrii Prigov: Introduced, Translated into English and Annotated.
- Katherine Carr Chapman. In Kharms' Way.
- Jacob Konick. The Figure of the Jew in Five Works by Anton Chekhov.
- Jacob Alexander Ross. Aleksei Balabanov's Homme Fatal: Formulations of the Russian Hero in Response to Western Influence.
- Angela Ann Wilson. Refashioning the Revolutionary: Conceiving "the Look" and Life of the Utopian Body.
- Catherine Eskra. The Fiery Angel[s] of Valerii Briusov and Sergei Prokofiev: Context, Technique, and Ambiguity.
- Anastasia Kayiatos. Out of the Closet and into the Drawer: Anatomizing Evgenii Kharitonov's Queer Corpus.
- Erin Pappas: Ideology and Metapragmatics: Speech as Trope and Representation in Two Texts by Turgenev.
- Mara Zepeda. The Children's Curse: The Influence and Reinterpretation of Rousseau's "Emile" in the Childhood and Education of the Russian Superfluous Man.
- Sabrina Canfield. Death in the Poetry of Gavril Romanovich Derzhavin.
- Darlene Pasieczny. Mayakovsky, Rodchenko and Deinka Walk into a Worker's Club... Vladimir Mayakovsky as Pictorial Device and the Institutional Identity of the Russian Avant-Garde. (2001 - Art History)
- Victoria Pustynsky. Selecting a Language: The Use of "New" Vocabulary in Soviet and Post-Soviet Power Discourse.
- Alyssa Reed. The Absurd Performance of Franz Kafka and Daniil Kharms: Experience in a Moving Universe. (2001 - General Literature: German and Russian)
- Todd Ruhlen. A Translation of Three Stories by Victor Pelevin.
- Ryan Stuewe. Off the Earthly Line: Death Defeats Kharms Defeats Death.
- Alexis Ruby Krock. The Urban Sublime. (2000 - General literature: English, French, Russian)
- Meredith Catherine Safer. Edward Limonov's Eta ia, Edichka: The Poetics of Contrast.
- Marcus Emmett Smith. Red Machine 4.0: Dziga Vertov and the Kino Eye. (2000- Master of Arts and Liberal Studies)
- Margo Stern. Telling the Truth: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, Evgenia Ginzburg and the Representation of the Gulag.
- Michael Kunichika. The Sanction of Epic
- Grant Mainland. Dances of Death: Irony and Self-(de)formation in Lermontov and Blok