Computing Allocation Policy
Maintenance & Support
CIS provides support for computers that use Macintosh, Windows or Linux-based operating systems. Such support includes: hardware maintenance and repair, network services, operating system upgrades, software consulting, documentation, training, etc. Maintenance and repairs of college-owned computing equipment will be provided at no cost to faculty and staff.
CIS will endeavor to support computing equipment that requires specialized hardware or software, but cannot guarantee such support.
Allocations & Ownership
Computers are allocated via the CIS Computer Equipment Replacement (CER) process. Computers purchased via special funds, such as external grants, Startup funds, Dean's funds, endowed chair funds, etc., are owned by the College and are subject to the policy outlined below.
- The College provides a computer to each faculty and staff member who requires one for their work. These computers will be deployed with secure, up-to-date operating systems and software. Each machine comes bundled with Microsoft Office, modern web browsers, and other software. The College provides computers for classrooms, departmental teaching labs, and student common spaces such as the ETC Information Resource Centers and the Library Reading Room and Reference Rooms.
- The College assists faculty in obtaining research computers through start-up funds, external grants, endowed chair funds, and other means.
- Although the College will provide only one computer per employee, in some cases faculty may obtain secondary computing equipment through special funds (e.g., Dean's fund and grants). This equipment is the property of the College and will be engraved, serviced and maintained, but will not be replaced except by special approval from CIS and as funds permit.
- The College provides an iPad to faculty members who require them for teaching or scholarship. The CER budget will fund up to $500 for an iPad. Additional funds for more expensive iPads, monthly data charges, and software can be charged to departmental budgets, grants, personal funds, or other sources. iPads purchased through CER are owned by the college and are eligible for periodic replacement.
- Staff who need an iPad for their work may request one through the Mobile Device Allowance Policy (PDF), available from the Business Office website. Funds for staff iPads are generally provided by the staff member’s department and iPads purchased through the mobile device policy are owned by the individual. iPads may be purchased and owned by a staff member’s department in cases where confidential data or VPN access is required for business purposes.
- Faculty and most staff may purchase computers from the Reed Computer Store, or may use computers purchased elsewhere. Repair and maintenance services are available for privately owned computers for a fee (time & materials), if they are among supported models.
Computers that are allocated to individual faculty and staff members cannot be re-deployed without prior CIS approval. Computers that are replaced must be returned to the CIS allocation pool for redistribution or recycling.
Computers provided by the college, except for those purchased with special funds as described above, are eligible for replacement through the annual Computer Equipment Replacement (CER) process. Eligible computers are replaced on average every five years with high priority computers and those in demanding environments may be replaced more frequently.