The student-run backpack co-op is the campus resource for outdoor equipment. All Reed community members—students, faculty, and staff—are welcome to check out gear or enjoy the coop's social area. Email us for contact and questions. Give us a call at 503-517-5516.
The Co-Op is housed in the Reed Outdoor Education Center located in the Sports Center. The Co-Op can fit all your needs for outdoor gear for adventures additionally we have SUP boards, Kayaks, Canoe's and Mtn Bikes for rent at the Co-Op.
The Backpack Co-op wants to make it easy and fun for you to get outside and enjoy the Pacific Northwest. One of the main ways we do that is by offering gear for you to borrow, free of charge. Terms are as follows:
- Checkout is free.
- Loans are for current students, staff, faculty only. Sorry alumni we can't offer you this benefit.
- You can keep basic equipment for one week.
- You can keep SUP Boards, Canoe's, Kayaks(hard shell and Inflatable), X-Ski's and Mtn Bikes for 3 days. (reminder that gear is sometimes reserved for courses on the weekends and may not be available for check out)
- You will be assessed a fee if you return the equipment late or if it has been subjected to undue stress.
- You will be charged the full amount of replacement cost for gear lost, stolen or damaged beyond repair.
- You need to sign a rental agreement form before checking out gear.
Below is a partial list of our inventory. If you don't see what you need, call us x5516 or drop by during our open hours. Note that we typically don't lend out technical equipment such as crampons, ice axes, and climbing gear; if you need that type of equipment, contact Will Symms, assistant director of athletics, fitness, and outdoor programs, to see what can be arranged.
In addition to equipment checkout, the co-op offers a variety of services.
- Outdoor skills clinics
- A meeting space for socializing and pretrip gatherings
- A selection of outdoors videos and a TV for viewing
- Gray Fund Sign ups for weekly trips
- Ski/Board Waxing area and supplies. We will teach you how to wax your boards!
Come by and see us. We'd love to help you explore the great outdoors!