Congress Bundestag Youth Exchange for Young Professionals
Apply through Independent Application Process
Internal Deadline: none - see website for details, usually December
The Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange (CBYX) for young professionals is a fully-funded fellowship opportunity that gives students and recent graduates the opportunity to study and work in Germany. CBYX is open to students in all fields of study and at all levels of study, including graduating students. The CBYX program annually provides up to 75 participants with: two months intensive German language training; A semester of study at a German university or university of applied sciences; A five-month internship with a German company in the participants’ career field; Homestays with German host families, in shared apartments, and student dorms; Transatlantic airfare, health insurance, and monthly living expense stipends; Local in-country support throughout the program.
Candidates for CBYX for Young Professionals must:
- have U.S. citizenship or permanent residence
- be between 18 and 24 years of age at the start of the program
- possess a high school diploma
- exhibit clear career goals and some relevant experience in their career field (experience can be work, internship, or volunteer)
- have a strong interest in German and international affairs, as well as a strong sense of American identity
- be flexible, independent, and diplomatic
Prior German language knowledge is not required, though it is preferred
In accordance with the public diplomacy goals of the CBYX program, the selection committee aims to select a diverse group of 75 American participants each year. Participants are expected to act as "young ambassadors" of the United States in Germany, and to represent the diversity of the U.S. in factors including, but not limited to, career field, educational background, geographic location, ethnicity, race, gender, religion, socio-economic status, disabilities, etc.