Dean for Institutional Diversity
The dean for institutional diversity is the chief diversity officer of the college. The dean reports to the president and works closely with the dean of faculty, Reed’s chief academic officer. The dean for institutional diversity oversees the functions of the office for institutional diversity.
As chief diversity officer, the dean’s goals are primarily to
- create institutional vision and strategy supporting the college’s commitment to being a diverse and inclusive learning, teaching, and working environment;
- implement systems and infrastructure to support, encourage, and promote those strategies and goals;
- provide leadership by working with the president’s cabinet and senior staff to ensure that all aspects of college life reflect the fundamental principals of intellectual pluralism espoused in the college’s founding documents;
- develop relationships in the broader Portland community which align with Reed’s commitment to intellectual pluralism and which promote the college’s dedication to academic rigor;
- provide opportunities for Reed students, staff, faculty, and intersecting communities to deepen their understanding and knowledge of a diverse array of peoples, ideas, and areas of intellectual inquiry.