Every member of the community has a right to file a formal complaint against another community member. Complaints against students may be filed with the student judicial board or the Sexual Misconduct Board; complaints against faculty members must be filed with the dean of the faculty; complaints against staff members must be filed with the director of human resources or with any vice president/dean. The student judicial board code, the faculty grievance policy, and the staff grievance page describe the procedures for handling and hearing complaints. Hearing boards at Reed College have the responsibility to investigate complaints, determine facts, and recommend action appropriate to the circumstances of the case and the ethos of an educational institution. Hearings are not trials: they do not take the place of legal action, and complainants always have the right to go the courts or to seek redress from state and federal agencies such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

(Page last modified: October 28, 2021)