Rothchild Summer Stipend for Music Study
Frederic Rothchild (1914-2002) began his association with Reed College in 1953 as the first director of private music instruction. Rothchild became a member of the faculty in 1968 and retired in 1978. The stipend is made possible by Fred Rothchild’s generous gift to Reed College. For a listing of previous recipients, please visit this page.
The Music Department of Reed College will sponsor two stipends of up to $1500 for music study during the summer of 2020.
Each applicant should submit a proposal for a project that will culminate early in the fall 2020 semester in a presentation open to the Reed community.
The deadline for submitting applications is Wednesday, April 1st 2020 at noon.
Eligible recipients are students who have been formally enrolled in a music class (including Music 101, 104, 105, 107, 108, and 109) during the current academic year and who will be returning full time for the next academic year, 2020-2021.
Your application should consist of the following parts, which should be sent via email to Denise VanLeuven:
- A description of the proposed project (no more than 500 words)
- A personal statement that describes your interest in and qualifications for carrying out the project (no more than 500 words)
- A description of the presentation you plan to give the community
- An approximate budget and timetable
- If the project involves lessons or participation in some kind of organized workshop or class, evidence that you have been accepted by the teacher or into the workshop or class
- A letter of recommendation from someone who knows you and the proposed project, but not one of the members of the music department listed above. However, in preparing the application, you may consult anyone you wish, including members of the department.