NYC Urban Fellows Program
Apply through Independent Application Process
The Urban Fellows Program is a highly selective, nine-month fellowship which combines work in Mayoral offices and City agencies with volunteer service opportunities and a seminar series that explores current urban issues impacting public policy. Program participants are diverse and come from all over the country to work in New York City.
New York City Urban Fellows are placed at an array of agencies across the City where they learn about public policy through a hands-on approach. The Fellows’ work experience is supplemented by the seminar series, an experience that exposes Fellows to public and private sector leaders. Guest speakers, including senior level City officials and alumni, share their leadership experiences and their work on City initiatives.
The unique opportunity to work with current decision makers and assist in the implementation of public policy distinguishes the Urban Fellows Program as the premier training program in government. Alumni are consistently found in leadership positions throughout government, as well as the private and non-profit sectors.
Benefits include a $31,563 stipend and health coverage.
- Receive their bachelor's degree within two years of the fellowship starting.
- Commit full-time to the nine-month Fellowship
- Agree to suspend any graduate study or outside work for the duration of the Fellowship
- Be able to demonstrate their eligibility to work in the United States after graduation and for the entire fellowship period.
Online application available through the NYC Urban Fellows website, includes:
- Transcript: Attach an unofficial transcript for all colleges attended, reflecting the most recent semester’s work.
- One page resume
- Personal Statement, not to exceed 750 words
- Policy Recommendation, not to exceed 1000 words
- Three recommendations