The Center for Life Beyond Reed

English Teaching Overseas

Apply through Independent Application Process


Several programs offer opportunities to teach English overseas. While these are not affiliated with Reed college, alumni have participated in several of them. Read the websites and program descriptions carefully to determine whether a given program may be a good fit for you.

By Country

AustriaU.S. Teaching Assistantships at Austrian Secondary Schools

Chile: Chile Opens Doors

FranceTeaching Assistant Program in France (TAPIF)

JapanThe Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) program

SpainNorth American Language and Culture Assistants Program (NALCAP)

Other Programs

Princeton in Asia

Princeton in Asia (PiA) sponsors over 140 fellowships and internships in about 20 countries. The essence of PiA is to provide transformative, service-oriented experiences for bright, talented graduates and to serve the needs of Asia as determined by our host institutions and Asian partners. PiA arranges fellowships and internships with Asian host organizations that contribute to important global issues at the local level: education, public health, environmental sustainability, access to information/media, economic development and social justice. While PiA has application and participation fees, they also offer a range of scholarships to offset those costs for those with need. Fellowships include stipends to cover the cost of living in your placement country.

Fulbright English Teaching Assistant Programs

The English Teaching Assistant (ETA) Programs place Fulbrighters in classrooms abroad to provide assistance to the local English teachers. ETAs help teach English language while serving as cultural ambassadors for the U.S. The age and academic level of the students varies by country, ranging from kindergarten to university level. Applicants for ETA Programs can apply to only one country. Opportunities are available all over the world and include benefits and pay during the program year. Current students and recent alumni are strongly encouraged to apply internally through Reed College, but you can apply At-Large as well.


See websites for eligibility and application details.