Rotary Peace Fellowships
Apply through Independent Application Process
» Scholarship's official website
Applicants may apply through their local Rotary organization or the Portland-area Rotary Foundation.
Accepted candidates study peace and development issues with research-informed teaching and a diverse student body. The programs last 15 to 24 months and include a two to three month field study, which participants design themselves. The Rotary Centers for International Studies in peace and conflict resolution support this mission by:
- Advancing research, teaching, publication, and knowledge on issues of peace, conflict and its resolution, and world understanding
- Providing advanced international educational opportunities for a group of Rotary World Peace Fellows chosen from different countries and cultures on the basis of their potential as leaders in government, business, education, media, and other related professions
- Providing a means for The Rotary Foundation and Rotary clubs to increase their effectiveness in promoting greater tolerance and cooperation among peoples, leading to world understanding and peace.
Fellowships cover tuition and fees, room and board, round-trip transportation, and all internship and field-study expenses.
Programs last 15 to 24 months and require a practical internship of two to three months during the academic break. Participating institutions include:
- Duke University and University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, USA
- International Christian University, Japan
- University of Bradford, UK
- University of Queensland, Australia
- Uppsala University, Sweden
There is also a professional development certificate program available.
Master’s degree candidates must also:
- Be proficient in English
- Have a bachelor's degree
- Have a strong commitment to cross-cultural understanding and peace as shown through professional and academic achievements and personal or community service
- Potential for leadership
- Have at least three years of full-time experience in peace or development work
We encourage people with disabilities and from other diverse backgrounds to apply. Rotary provides reasonable accommodations as needed to people with disabilities.
You are not eligible if you are an active Rotary member, employee of a Rotary club, Rotary International, or other Rotary entity.