Thomas R. Pickering Foreign Affairs Fellowship
Apply through Independent Application Process
Internal Deadline: Check website for annual deadlines - typically September
The Fellowship is designed to attract outstanding individuals from all ethnic, racial and social backgrounds who have an interest in pursuing a Foreign Service career with the U.S. Department of State.
Applicants for the graduate program must be seeking admission to a two-year master’s degree program in fall of 2019.
2019 Fellows will receive financial support of up to $37,500 annually for two years for:
- Tuition costs (first priority)
- Room and board
- Mandatory fees
- One round-trip ticket between Fellow's residence and his/her academic institutions
- Only individuals who are United States citizens at the time of application will be considered.
- Applicants must be expecting to receive their bachelor’s degree by spring 2019.
- Awardees are expected to enroll in a two-year, full-time master’s degree program in an academic field relevant to the work of the Foreign Service.
- The Fellowship does not fund law or joint law degree programs.
- Only U.S. institutions based in the U.S. are eligible.
- Applicants must be available to fulfill the summer internship obligations (summer 2020 & 2021)
- Applicants must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.2 or higher on a 4.0 scale at the time of application.
- A cumulative grade point average of 3.2 or higher on a 4.0 scale must be maintained throughout participation in the program.
The Pickering Fellowship seeks motivated individuals with sound judgment and leadership abilities. In addition to fortitude, flexibility, and adaptability to other cultures, the ideal applicant exhibits initiative, effective persuasion skills, and the capacity to work harmoniously with others under what may often be extremely stressful circumstances. An applicant's academic record should indicate a history of achievement and a future of promise. The Pickering Fellowship affords particular consideration to qualified applicants who, in addition to outstanding leadership skills and academic achievement, demonstrate financial need. All applicants must complete a detailed personal and family financial addendum. The State Department strongly encourages women and members of minority groups historically underrepresented in the Foreign Service to apply.
Visit the website for application information.