Hostelling International Explore the World Travel Scholarships
Apply through Independent Application Process
Internal Deadline: none - see website for annual deadline, usually May
DescriptionRecipients of the scholarship receive $2,000 to help finance an international trip of more than seven days that includes an educational or service component.
- Be 18 - 30 years of age
- Be a permanent, legal resident of the USA
- Reside or attend school in one of the select metropolitan areas where HI USA has a community presence.
- Have a strong desire and motivation to experience other people and cultures through international travel
- Plan to take a trip to a destination outside of the 50 United States that incorporates education, volunteerism or service learning.
A scholarship committee of local residents will score and select awardees from completed, eligible applications based on the candidate’s ability to:
- Present a compelling case on why/how the proposed travel will benefit him/herself and others
- Convey a genuine interest in enhancing intercultural understanding through travel
- Demonstrate financial need
- Complete an Explore the World Application for your location. Don't forget to check the 7 Tips for a Successful Explore the World Application!
- Provide 2 personal references
- If selected as a finalist, participate in an interview in your local area