Goldwater Scholarship Internal Application Instructions
The Goldwater program aims to support students who aspire to future careers as leading research scientists. They are looking for
- a strong commitment to a research career in the natural sciences, mathematics, and engineering;
- an effective display of intellectual intensity in the sciences, mathematics, and engineering;
- potential for a significant future contribution to research in their chosen field.
Internal Application Deadline
November 4th, 2020 at 12:00 PM
Complete the following steps by the internal application deadline to apply:
Fill out and submit the online Student Profile and Pre-application on the Goldwater website.
Submit these items to firstname.lastname@example.org by the internal application deadline:
A completed internal Goldwater application (not including the research essay).
A copy of your Reed transcript (you can request a free one via these instructions).
Copies of transcripts for any college courses taken elsewhere that may not be included on your Reed transcript.
Letters of Recommendation
For the initial review, you will need two informal letters of recommendation.
- The two recommenders may be from Reed; one of the two should be from someone who has supervised summer research. At least one of the two must be a faculty member in your field of study. Please ask the two recommenders to send their informal letters of recommendation to email@example.com by the internal application deadline. Ask them to discuss your potential for a career in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering.
- If you are nominated, you will need a third recommender.
You will need to complete this online waiver form as the final step in submitting your internal application.
Applicants submitting application materials electronically by email will generally receive a confirmation within twenty-four hours. If you do not receive a confirmation during this time, please follow up with the Center for Life Beyond Reed at firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure that the application was successfully submitted.
The Reed fellowships and awards committee will meet the week after the internal application deadline, and notifications should be made by the end of that week. If you are nominated by Reed, you'll be added to the full application on the Goldwater website.