About the Language Laboratory
The language laboratory is located on LL1 of the Hauser Library in the Instructional Media Center (IMC). The language lab is designed to augment language competence at all levels through drop-in tutoring, language-specific software and online resources, and facilities to watch and listen to the materials provided by the IMC in Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Russian, Spanish, and other languages. Currently equipped with iMacs and MacBook Pros, the lab is open to students approximately 15 hours daily during the academic year. Web links to many language lab resources are also available on this webpage.
The language lab may be closed at times when classes are meeting there.
During the academic year, free drop-in tutoring is available in the language lab on weekday evenings. You can also make an appointment to meet with an individual tutor. When you stop by the Language Lab to meet with a drop-in tutor, make sure you sign in using the Tutor kiosk.
Search for videos and dvds in the IMC by language.
Reserving the Language Lab
Please contact Beth Platte to reserve the Language Lab for a class or language-related activity or with questions.
Language resources on this site
Resources for each language include
- General information, course-specific files, and community resources
- Typing help
- Recommended online dictionaries
- Language learning resources for grammar, vocabulary, conversation, and writing
- Recommendations for radio, podcasts, and movies
- Links to online newspapers and blogs
- Cultural resources
Resources on this page for non-native English speakers include
- Specialized vocabulary and dictionaries
- Resources for classroom participation and note-taking
- Resources for writing
This page houses resources useful to many languages both offered at Reed and not.
- Online language learning and practice
- Vocabulary tools
- Language exchanges
- Pronunciation help