Topic #8 April 6th &13th Avehi & Hulali
SNACKS & Who is Who: Denn
Randler, C. (2007). Assortative Mating of Carrion Corvus corone and Hooded Crows. C. cornix in the Hybrid Zone in Eastern Germany. Netherlands Ornithologists' Union, 95(1):143-149.
Poelstra, J.W., Vijay, N., Bossu, C.M., Lantz, H. et al. (2014). The genomic landscapr underlying phenotypic integrity in the face of gene flow in crows. Science, 344(6190):1410-1414.
Questions for reading (students must turn in 4 sets throughout semester):
- Make a list of terms and techniques you did not understand.
- What was the main difference in gene expression between Hooded Crows and Carrion Crows?
- How did they measure genome-wide differences between the different samples of tissues?
- What are genomic ‘Cacti’?
- What are inversions?
- Why are hybrid zones considered a paradox? State in terms of how species are defined.
- How did they conclude that there is a lot of gene flow between these populations?
- Explain what is being shown in Figure 2. What is the overall take-home message of this figure?