Guidance on Student Gatherings & Events
Updated October 5, 2021
Please visit Reed’s COVID-19 Prevention & Response website for comprehensive guidance on holding in-person gatherings and events.
Reserving Event Spaces and Tabling Times
If you are interested in organizing a ball in the Student Union, please note the basic ball guidelines below. After you register your proposed ball in IRIS, a Student Engagement staff member will schedule a brief planning meeting with you.
- Student Union
- At minimum, all windows and doors on the west side must be open. Ideally, all windows on both the east and west sides should be open. Sound Kollective and Community Safety have determined appropriate sound and bass levels in order to open all windows without disturbing surrounding neighborhoods.
- Capacity: Maximum of 100 people
- Hours - 10 PM to 2 AM approved for balls
- For only current Reed students.
- Public health behavior monitoring and compliance
- Event organizers and designees are accountable for monitoring and ensuring public health behavior compliance. This includes enforcing mask wearing by attendees and monitoring capacity limitations.
- Other notes
- Guidelines and permissions may change as circumstances evolve.
- If Community Safety observes an egregious problem at an event, CSOs may turn on lights and turn off sound to address the issue.
Rollback of events
The COVID-19 Risk Assessment Group continues to assess the current health risks to the on-campus community and will make suggested operational adjustments as needed.
Public Health Guidance During In-Person Gatherings & Events
In all cases, in-person event organizers and all attendees must follow individual public health guidance issued by Reed and comply with federal, state, and local COVID-19 public health protocols.
The event organizer is responsible for communicating this guidance to all attendees prior to the event and ensuring that attendees comply during the event.
Student Engagement staff are available by appointment to Reed students, staff and faculty. Please contact our staff for assistance.