CE Credit Opportunities and Next Steps for Students
Follow these six steps to get started.
Note: Any work done before you complete the CE Credit paperwork will be considered volunteer work.
Step 1. Confirm you qualify for CE Credit
- Ensure that you haven't already completed two quarters of off-campus or self-directed PE Classes. These are PE classes listed as 200-, 300-, or 400- level classes.
Step 2. Review off-campus CE Credit-approved service sites and available positions
- Handshake: search for jobs that include [FWS/CE Credit] in their titles or search for the SEEDS Internship Program employer. All hiring for the 22-23 academic year has closed. Stay tuned for new positions opening for hire come fall 2023!
If you want to work with an organization that is not CE Credit-approved, initiate the process to create an eligible CE Credit site.
Step 3. Follow the Handshake application process
- Handshake will ask you to submit application materials (typically a resumé) and fill out a google form. Once you've submitted both the Handshake and the google form, our coordinator confirms eligibility and sends your application to our community partner.
- Community partners may contact you for additional evaluation procedures, including but not limited to: additional application materials, interviews, or background checks.
Contact Center for Life Beyond Reed with questions about Handshake, as well as for support for your application, letter of interest, resume, and/or interview.
Step 4. Once hired, complete the online learning contract
- You will receive an application decision via email with the required learning contract linked for you to complete. You cannot earn CE Credit for work done before you send in this contract.
Step 5. Register for the correct classes on SOLAR
SEEDS will grant you instructor approval to register for the CE Classes on SOLAR. These are listed as 300- level classes. This is an essential step, as you cannot earn a credit for a class you are not registered for.
Step 6. Submit timesheets weekly
- Electronic timesheets are due weekly on Mondays before 3 p.m.
- Your timesheet document will be sent to you via email as part of your application decision.
- Record exact roundtrip travel time (not to exceed 1 hr/day).
- Conclude all CE Credit work by the last day of the quarter/s you are registered for.
CE Credit Info Sessions
Regular office hours and information sessions are held throughout the semester to support students interested in Off-Campus Federal Work Study. Office hours are every Thursday from 10:30a.m. to 11:30a.m. in the Student Center lobby or by appointment. Contact the CE Internship Program Coordinator, Nina Gopaldas, at firstname.lastname@example.org to book an appointment or ask any questions.
Student-Initiated CE Credit Host Sites
If you do not find the kind of work you are looking for in the posted opportunities, you can still earn CE Credit through another organization, provided it meets the required criteria. If you'd like to initiate the contract process with an organization that is not currently a community partner, follow these steps:
- Review partner organization site requirements.
- Email the SEEDS CE Internship Program Coordinator with your request (email@example.com) and copy your supervisor at the community partner organization
At the end of the academic year, SEEDS suggests that CE Credit students fill out an evaluation with their site supervisor during an exit interview. We ask for feedback on your placements so that SEEDS can learn more about the organizations where students worked and pass that information on to future interns & other volunteers. This helps us curate the best experiences and host sites for Reedies. It is also beneficial to ask for a letter of recommendation from your site supervisor, if it was a positive experience.
If you have feedback before the end of the year, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.