Registrar's Office Fall 2020 Updates
Information about Fall Semester Courses for Continuing Students:
The semester calendar:
- Classes will begin as currently scheduled on Monday, August 31st, but there will be no October break and any in-person component of a course will end Friday, November 20th (the Friday before Thanksgiving).
- All courses will meet remotely during the week of November 30 and Monday, December 7. Reading period is December 8th and 9th and final exams will be held December 10-15.
- We are hoping that spring-fall seniors who are in Portland will be able to arrange for in-person thesis oral exams if they choose to. We will let you know as the details become available.
Courses will be designed as one of two types (online or in-person) but then may also have an option for how a student would access the content (see below). All courses are suitable for local students; both online classes and in-person classes with a remote access option are suitable for remote students.
- Online design: Courses are designed with course content delivered virtually.
- In-person design: Courses are designed with varying amounts of content delivered via in-person class sessions.
Realizing that Reed will include two groups of students, those accessing courses locally from Portland and those accessing courses from remote locations around the world, each course could include an access option designation.
- Online design courses will be designated as “local access option” if they include options to satisfy some of the course requirements with auxillary in-person components.
- In-person design courses will be designated “remote access option” if students can effectively satisfy the course requirements without attending any face-to-face meetings.
Further details about courses:
- All in-person activity will follow rules for social distancing with the expectation that Reed community members wear face coverings. Regardless of course design, faculty members will work with enrolled students who cannot participate due to illness or quarantine.
- Departments will hold Zoom “open houses” to explain departmental offerings and answer questions on July 21st.
The Open House links can be found at https://www.reed.edu/dean_of_faculty/protected/fall-2020-department-advising-sessions.html. You will need your Reed login to access this page.
- Overloads (more than 4.5 units) are discouraged this semester.
Changes to course meeting times:
- To allow for social distancing and reduce crowding during peak hours on campus, meeting times for many courses will be adjusted. This may result in changes to the schedule for which you registered last spring.
- The adjusted schedule of classes will be available by July 20. Advisors will receive new PINs and we expect SOLAR to reopen July 23 so continuing students can make adjustments to their schedule as needed.
- Once the schedule is posted, be sure to consult any revised descriptions, check your schedule for any conflicts, check out the schedule of classes to see how best to resolve those conflicts, and contact your advisor for your PIN.
- SOLAR will close again August 2 to allow incoming students to register.
- July 20: Updated course descriptions available. Check to see changes in the courses for which you are enrolled and consider alternatives if needed.
- July 21: Academic departments will hold “open houses” via zoom to discuss course designs.
- July 23 – August 2: SOLAR open for continuing students to amend their schedules. SOLAR will be closed after August 2 so that incoming students can register
- August 17: SOLAR will reopen for remaining schedule adjustments
- August 26: SOLAR closes, course changes will require Add/Drop forms
- Monday, August 31: classes begin
If you have any questions about registration and the academic calendar, please contact:
Office of the Registrar
The main Reed College COVID-19 Prevention and Response Plan may be viewed at https://www.reed.edu/coronavirus/.
Last updated July 14, 2020