(excerpted from "California Institute of Technology 1994 3/2 Dual Degree Program"):

Caltech invites students from a selected group of Liberal Arts Colleges to transfer to Caltech upon completion of their junior year. After two years in residence at Caltech, and the successful completion of our requirements, 3/2 students will be granted a Bachelor of Science degree from Caltech and a second bachelor's degree from their Liberal Arts College. Students may transfer into any of the Caltech options (majors) listed below [two sentences have been deleted from this excerpt in view of the Electrical Engineering program having been made accessible under 3/2 programs as of 1999].

It is expected that each of the 3/2 Liberal Arts Colleges will determine which of the options offered by Caltech are appropriate for their students. . . .

Caltech Options Available to 3/2 Program Students (Reed selections authorized from available options)

  • Aeronautics
  • Applied Mechanics
  • Civil Engineering
  • Structural and Soil Mechanics
  • Hydraulics and Water Resources
  • Computer Science
  • Environmental Engineering Science
  • Materials Science
  • Mechanical Engineering
  • Fluids and Thermal Systems
  • Systems and Design
  • Deadline for submission of 3/2 applications and support materials is April 1.

    Admission to the 3/2 program is not guaranteed and will be determined by the Caltech Faculty Upperclass Admissions Committee. The number of 3/2 transfer students that Caltech can accommodate may vary from year to year, but it is expected that the total size of the 3/2 transfer class will number about twenty each year. Students applying should have a record of superior academic achievement at their home institutions, and strong letters of recommendation from their 3/2 liaison and an additional Science, Mathematics, or Engineering faculty member. They must have completed, at their home college, a minimum of one year of Physics and Mathematics including multivariable calculus and differential equations, and one year of Chemistry (two years of math and physics are recommended).

    While Caltech attempts to meet the demonstrated financial need of each eligible admitted student, Caltech financial aid funds for international students are limited. For this reason, Caltech cannot guarantee to meet the demonstrated need of all international students admitted to the 3/2 program.

    You may consult the Caltech Catalog transfer admissions pages directly if you like.

    Link to Reed Dual Degree Programs or to Columbia University, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, or Washington University program description.