Supplemental Outdoor Experiences
Reed’s Supplemental Outdoor Experiences offer you a chance to see some of the spectacular areas just outside of Portland, meet other students, and enjoy an outdoor adventure before classes begin.
Supplemental Outdoor Experiences bring small groups of eight to ten students to a variety of areas around the Portland metro area and into the rivers, oceans, mountains in the Pacific Northwest. We will offer one day excursions from campus to explore areas via foot, Stand Up Paddle Board, Surf Board, Climbing Shoes and much, much more. Teams of student leaders and/or outdoor professionals lead the trips; all are trained in outdoor leadership, first aid, and CPR.
Please note: Reed College reserves the right to alter or cancel trips based on conditions or situations outside the control of the college. These conditions include but are not limited to low registration, wildfire risk, and low water conditions. If Reed offers an alternative trip, participants will be contacted to opt-in to the new activity. If Reed must cancel a trip in its entirety, the college will notify participants and student accounts will not be charged.
Contact: Will Symms, assistant director of athletics, fitness, & outdoor programs, 503-777-7232.
|Friday, August 25th|
|6pm - 8pm||Check-in to meet your group @ Trillium Res Hall Area (Where you checked in on campus)|
|Saturday, August 26th|
|7am - 10am||
Trips depart Reed TBD
|4pm - 7pm||
Trips return to Reed TBD
|Sunday, August 27th|
Overnight trip returns 4pm
When you sign up for an Outdoor Experience, we will charge your student account after the trip has completed. This fee is refundable if you are unable to attend and notify us before Saturday, August 12.
- $75.00 Stand Up Paddle Board the Willamette River
- Paddle Board through the heart of downtown Portland and explore this majestic river setting. Food carts and fun are guaranteed to etch some memories as you start the year.
- $50.00 4- T Urban Hike, Food Carts and Coffee
- Wanna stay closer to home and adventure your way Portland's urban jungle? This trip will offer time on the Trail, Tram, Train and Trolley (4-T) plus some stops for legendary food carts and coffee.
- $100.00 Art Adventure - Art Museum and Paint Your Own Portrait Tour
- We have hired a local artist to come to Reed (or local venue) so you can learn and practice your nature painting skills to show off to all your new friends. After the painting session, we can stop by the Portland Art Museum so you can see some real art and marvel at how hard painting can really be.
- $100.00 Yoga, Coffee and Ceramics Session
- New to a city, need your zen fix after a long week? Join our crew for a yoga session, coffee haus tour and session at a local ceramic studio for some artisitic respite. T
- $50.00 Washington Park Hike and Food Cart tour
- Washington park houses many iconic treasures of Portland including Hoyt Arboretum, Pittock Mansion and the Japanese Gardens. This hiking tour will include some great food stops as well as some good mileage checking out these special places in Portland on foot.
- $175.00 Rafting the Clackamas River
- Paddle your way through the west side of Mt. Hood on the Clackamas River! This is a full day rafting journey with a professional contracted company. Hit some class 2/3+waves while cooling off in the heat of Oregon.
- $100.00 Reed Ski Cabin Overnight Experience
- Be the first of your class to visit the Reed Ski Cabin on the flanks of Mt. Hood. This adventure is an overnight excursion with day hikes to Ramona Falls, tours of Timberline lodge and a chairlift ride up to the highest point on the mountain. Here you will have some spectacular views of your new home in the Pacific Northwest.
- $85.00 Local Climbing Walls Tour and Food Carts
- Check out a couple of local climbing gyms in the Heart of PDX. This metro driven tour will take you to some great local gyms called the Circuit and Portland Rock Gym. Here we will pull some plastic and have some fun running routes both bouldering and top-roping. Bouldering in the morning followed by some top rope routes after lunch. You will be sore, fed and well socialized in your local climbing crags when you fall asleep.
- $150.00 Rope Course/Zip Line Tour
- We head west to the coast range for a zipline/ropes course at Tree to Tree Adventure Park to play in the canopies of some old growth forests with your new found friends. This adventure isn't for the faint of heart but will be filled with fun and fantastic chills and thrills. Follow this up with some epic food from the local area to round out a day of excitement.
- CANCELED! The gym has no availablity this year, sorry for the late notice......FREE Sunday Evening 8/27 Circuit Bouldering Gym free climb (9:00pm -11:00pm)
To sign up for an Outdoor Trip, complete the application. Registration begins on June 1 and is accepted on a first-come, first-served basis; materials must be received by July 15.
Please be honest when answering questions about your outdoor experience. Trips are designed for all skill and experience levels, so don't worry if you've never climbed Denali or hiked the length of the Appalachian Trail.
Most trips all you need is a willing heart for adventure and fun. These day excursions will be much more enjoyable with some basic gear to keep you on the trail for success. Gear can be rented from our Backpack Co-Op for no charge the day before we leave on our trip.
- Good all around closed toe shoe
- Small day pack for water and snacks
- Layer to keep you warm and dry
- Small Towel
- Change of clothes
- Layer to keep you warm and dry
- Swim suit
OVERNIGHT SKI CABIN TRIP
- Small Towel
- Multiple change of clothes
- Sleeping bag
- Personal medications
- Personal snacks