Instructions for setting up your Reed computer account will be sent to you in a "getting started" email in April after you accept admission to Reed and submit the first deposit. This email will include a unique computer activation code, which you will need, along with your Reed ID, to set up your Reed computer account.
Claim Your Computer Account
Instructions for creating your Reed computer account will be included in the email that contains your unique activation code:
- You will need your Reed ID, which is included in your letter of admission and your enrollment confirmation email.
- You will need the activation code included in the "getting started" email sent to you from Reed.
- If you did not receive an email with an activation code after paying your first deposit, please email the Orientation team at email@example.com or call 503-788-6696.
Reed uses Kerberos, a system that lets you use one username and password to access most online services at Reed, including email; Google Drive; and IRIS, a website for the Reed community only. The first time you log in, you will be prompted to sign up for two-step authentication.
Access Your Student Account
Once you set up your computer account and Reed email, use the same credentials to log in to IRIS. IRIS, Reed's password-protected portal for community members, provides access to a variety of resources. Some common things you can do in IRIS:
- check your course schedule
- check your tuition billing account details
- complete many of your required forms
- update personal information like pronouns and photo
When you log in to IRIS, you will be prompted to enter your username and password. Your username is generally the same as your Reed email, but without the “@ reed.edu” at the end. So for example, if your email is “firstname.lastname@example.org” you would login like this:
- Username: newreedie
- Password: [whatever you choose as your password]
Every student should have a laptop with a currently supported operating system, capable of running Microsoft Office, email, modern web browser, and Zoom. Visit Computing Information for Students for detailed recommendations and where to buy.
Set Your Email Preferences
When you set up your computer account, you can choose where your Reed email will be delivered—to your Reed email inbox or to a designated forwarding address, such as Gmail or Yahoo. You can change your delivery selection at any time. Going forward, many Reed offices will communicate with you through your Reed email account, so please check that frequently before arriving on campus.