International Student Services

Division of Student Services

Before you arrive

Before seeking entry to the United States and joining us at Reed, students who are not citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. will have to apply for a U.S. visa, a document which allows foreign citizens to seek entry to the United States. This page details the process of obtaining a visa. Make sure you follow the instructions carefully and contact ISS with any questions.

Immigration Documents

If you are a newly admitted international student, ISS will mail you the documents required for you to obtain a student F-1 visa. (Language Scholars will receive these documents from the IPO as they accept their job offers.) The documents will include an I-20 or DS-2019 form and SEVIS I-901 Fee Confirmation. Once you receive these documents, you will need to apply for a visa, which will include a visa interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate. (Canadian citizens do not require a student visa, but will need to carry their I-20 or DS-2019 form with them when coming to Reed.) Students and scholars begin the visa application process online:

International Students Currently Studying in the United States

If you are an international student studying at a U.S. high school on an F-1 or J-1 visa, you should contact the ISS office about transferring your SEVIS record to Reed by completing this F-1 Transfer form. Transferring your student record simplifies the immigration process and may obviate the need to obtain a new visa. Students in this situation should contact ISS as soon as possible.

Contact International Student Services

Gray Campus Center 104
Skype: iss.reed

Dana Lawson
Assistant Dean of Students for International Student Services

Subscribe to our mailing list

Follow Us