19th-Century European & North American Encounters with Taiwan:
A Bibliography of Texts Input
- "19th Century European & North American Encounters with Taiwan: A Selective Bibliography." Compiled by Douglas Fix and John Shufelt.
- "Annotated bibliography of 19th Century German Articles Concerning
Taiwan (Formosa)." Compiled by Douglas Fix with selective summaries by Tina Schneider.
- "Annotated Bibliography of 19 Century French Reports Concerning Taiwan
(Formosa)." Compiled by Douglas Fix with selective summaries by Amy Heneveld.
- Allen, [Herbert]. "On a journey through Formosa from Tamsui to
Taiwanfu." The Geographical Magazine 4 (1877): 135-136.
- Allen, Herbert J. "Notes of a journey through Formosa from Tamsui
to Taiwanfu." Proceedings of the Royal Geographical Society of London
21 (1877): 258-266.
- "The island of Formosa." In Illustrated travels: A record
of discovery, geography, and adventure. Edited by Bates, H.W. London: Cassell, Petter,
and Galpin, 1869. Pp. 250-252.
- Beazeley, M. "Notes of an overland journey through the southern part of
Formosa in 1875, from Takow to the South Cape, with sketch map." Proceedings of
the Royal Geographical Society and Monthly Record of Geography n.s. 7 (January 1885):
1-22 (plus maps).
- Bechtinger, J[os]. Het eiland in de chineesche
Bruining et Wyt, 1871. English summary (of pp. 1-12) and translation (of
pp. 13-20) by Ann Heylen; edited by Douglas Fix.
- Bridge, A.G. Cyprian. "An
excursion in Formosa." Fortnightly Review n.s. 20 [= Vol. 26 old series]
- Bullock, T.L. "A trip into the interior of Formosa."
Proceedings of the Royal Geographical Society of London 21 (1877): 266-272.
- Campbell, W. "Aboriginal savages of Formosa." Ocean
Highways: The Geographical Review n.s. 1 (1874): 410-412.
- Carroll, Charles. "Rambles among the Formosan savages."
The Phoenix 1 (1871): 133-134, 164-165.
- Collingwood, [Cuthbert]. "A boat journey across the northern end of
Formosa, from Tam-suy, on the west, to Kee-lung, on the east; with notices of Hoo-wei, Manka,
and Kelung." Proceedings of the Royal Geographical Society 11 (1867): 167-173.
- Collingwood, [Cuthbert]. "Visit to the Kibalan village of Sano Bay,
north-east coast of Formosa. Including a vocabulary of the dialect." Transactions
of the Ethnological Society of London n.s. 6 (1868): 135-143, 362-363.
- Collingwood, Cuthbert. Rambles of a naturalist on the shores and waters of
the China Sea: Being observations in natural history during a voyage to China, Formosa,
Borneo, Singapore, etc., made in Her Majesty's vessels in 1866 and 1867. London:
John Murray, Alblemarle Street, 1868. Pp. 35-128.
- Colquhoun, A.R., and J.H. Stewart-Lockhart. "A sketch of Formosa."
The China Review 13 (1885): 161-207.
- Corner, Arthur. "Journey in the interior of Formosa."
Proceedings of the Royal Geographical Society 19 (1875): 515-517.
- Corner, Arthur. "A journey in Formosa." The Chinese Recorder
and Missionary Journal 7, ii (1876): 117-128.
- Corner, Arthur. "A tour through Formosa, from south to north."
Proceedings of the Royal Geographical Society 22 (1878): 53-63.
- "Formosa." The treaty ports of China and Japan.
Compiled and edited by N.B. Dennys. Maps and plans by Wm. Fred Mayers, N.B. Dennys, and
Chas. King. London: Trübner, 1867. Pp. 291-325.
- Dodd, J. "A
glimpse of the manners and customs of the hill tribes of Formosa." Journal
of the Straits Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society 15
- Ede, George. "A tour through eastern Formosa." Presbyterian Messenger (1 Oct 1890): 6-9; (1 Nov 1890): 4-7; (1 Dec 1890): 6-10; (1 Feb 1891): 5-6; (1 Mar 1891): 2-3; (1 Apr 1891): 3-5, 8-10; (1 May 1891): 12-14; (1 Jun 1891): 11-14.
- The Encyclopaedia Britannica. "Formosa." (1889).
- Ford, John D. "Formosa." Chapter XIX in An American cruiser
in the East: Travels and studies in the far East. New York: A.S. Barnes, 1898. Pp. 322-330.
- Griffis, William Elliot. "The
Japanese in Formosa." Harper's Weekly 39 (4 May 1895):423-424;
39 (21 December 1895): 1223-1224.
- Guérin, M., and M. Bernard. "Les Aborigènes de l'île de Formose." Bulletin de la Société de Géographie de Paris 5th series, 15 (1868): 542-568. Note: Partial translation in HRAF, AD1, Formosa, #24. Additions and corrections to that translation were made by Miranda Fix and Hugh Hochman; the translation was edited by Douglas Fix.
- Guillemard, F.H.H. "Formosa." Chapter I in The Cruise of
the Marchesa to Kamschatka & New Guineaa, with notices of Formosa, Liu-Kiu, and various
islands of the Malay Archipelago. London: John Murray. 1886. Pp. 1-25.
- Habersham, A[lexander] W. The North Pacific surveying and exploring
expedition; or, My last cruise. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott, 1857. Pp. 159-179.
- Hancock, [William] A. "A visit to the savages of Formosa."
Good Words for 1885. Pp. 373-379
- Harper's Bazaar. "South
Cape of Formosa, or Kan-shan." XV, No.47 (November 1882): 744. With
- House, Edward. "Formosa: Japanese expedition against the island pirates." New York Herald (24 June 1874); "Formosa: The war-making power of the island population." New York Herald (17 August 1874); "Formosa: The dreary march into the interior of the island." New York Herald (19 August 1874); "Formosa: The Japanese forces in a position to bring the pirates to terms." New York Herald (20 August 1874).
- Hughes, T[homas]. F[rances]. "Visit to Tok-e-Tok, chief of the eighteen
tribes, southern Formosa." Proceedings of the Royal Geographical Society of
London 16 (1872): 265-271. Note: Previously published in Takow trade reports.
- Ibis, Pavel. "Ekskursiia na Formozu." Morskoi sbornik
152, i (1876): neoffitsial'nyi otdel, 111-149; 152, ii (1876): neoffitsial'nyi otdel,
pp. 111-141. [Original Russian-language text.]
- Ibis, Pavel. "Ekskursiia na Formozu" [Excursion to Formosa].
Morskoi sbornik 152, i (1876): neoffitsial'nyi otdel, 111-149; 152, ii (1876):
neoffitsial'nyi otdel, pp. 111-141. Translated by Kirill Shklovsky. Edited by Douglas Fix.
- Ibis, Paul. "Auf Formosa: Ethnographische Wanderungen."
Globus 31 (1877): 149-52, 167-71, 181-87, 196-200, 214-19, 230-35.
[Original German-language text.]
- Ibis, Paul. "Auf Formosa: Ethnographische Wanderungen"
[On Formosa: Ethnographic travels] Globus 31 (1877): 149-52, 167-71, 181-87,
196-200, 214-19, 230-35. Translated by Christian Buss. Edited by Douglas Fix.
- Illustrated London News. "Articles concerning Formosa (Taiwan) in the Illustrated London News, 1843-1890."
- Kleinwächter, George. "Researches into the geology of Formosa." Journal
of the North-China Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society n.s. 18 (1883):
- Kopsch, Henry. "Notes on the rivers in northern Formosa."
Proceedings of the Royal Geographical Society of London 14 (1870): 79-83.
Reprinted in The Cycle No. 2 (14 May 1870): 23-24.
- La Pérouse, Jean-François de Galaup, comte de, 1741-1788. The
voyage of La Pérouse round the world, in the years 1785, 1786, 1787, and 1788,
with nautical tables. Arranged by M.L.A. Nilet Mureau, Inspector of Fortifications and
member of several literary societies at Paris. To which is prefixed, narrative of an
interesting voyage from Manila to St. Blaise, and annexed, travels over the continent, with
the dispatches of La Pérouse in 1787 and 1788, by M. de Lesseps. Translated from the
French. Illustrated with fifty-one plates in two volumes. London: Printed for John Stockdate,
Piccadilly, 1798. Ch. 16 and Appendices, Vol. 2.
- Le Gendre, C.W. Reports on Amoy and the island of Formosa.
Washington: Government Printing Office, 1871.
- Mackay, G.L. "Mission
work in Formosa." The
Chinese Recorder and Missionary Journal 26 (1895): 60-71.
- Maron, Hermann. "Ein Besuch in Amoy und auf der Insel Formosa" [A visit to Amoy and the Island of Formosa].
Japan und China - Reiseskizzen, entworfen wþhrend der Preussischen Expedition nach Ost-Asien. Berlin: O. Janke, 1863.
English translation by Tina Schneider, Reed College; edited by Miranda Fix and Douglas Fix.
- Pickering, W.A. "Among the savages of central Formosa, 1866-1867."
The Messenger and Missionary Record of the Presbyterian Church of England
n.s. 3 (1878): 15-16, 29-31, 69-71; The Gospel in China n.s. 5 (May 1878): 29-30.
- Reclus, Elisée. "Formosa." The earth and its
inhabitants. Asia. Vol. II, East Asia: Chinese empire, Corea, and Japan. Edited by
A. H. Keane. New York: D. Appleton, 1884. Pp. 275-284.
Ferdinand Freiherr von. "Ueber den Gebirgsbau an der
Nordküste von Formosa" [On the geological composition of
Formosa's north coast]. Zeitschrift der Deutschen geologischen Gesellschaft
2 (1860): 532-545. Translated by Tina Schneider; edited by Douglas
- Ritchie, Elizabeth. "Woman's work in Formosa." The
Messenger and Missionary Record (1 May 1878): 92. "Work amongst
the Sek-hoan women." The Messenger and Missionary Record (2 September
1878): 170-171. "Sek-hoan musical instruments, Formosa." The
Messenger and Missionary Record (1 October 1878): 192. "Giam-cheng
and its he-soa, or 'burning mountain'." The Messenger and Missionary
Record (1 October 1878): 192.
- Ritchie, Hugh. "Notes of a journey in east Formosa."
The Chinese Recorder and Missionary Journal 6 (1875): 206-211.
- Schetelig, [Arnold]. "On the natives of Formosa."
Transactions of the Ethnological Society of London 7 : 215-229.
- Steere, J.B. "Formosa." Journal of the American
Geographical Society of New York 6 (1876): 302-334.
- Steere, J.B. "Letters from Formosa." Ann Arbor Courier (1873-74)
- Swinhoe, Robert. "Additional notes on Formosa."
Proceedings of the Royal Geographical Society of London 10 (1866): 122-128.
- Hall, Philip B. "A Victorian
naturalist in treaty port China: Robert Swinhoe (1836-1877)."
- Taylor, G. "A ramble through southern Formosa." The China
Review 16 : 137-161.
- Thomson, J[ohn]. "Notes of a journey in southern Formosa."
Journal of the Royal Geographical Society XLIII (1873): 97-107.
- Thomson, J[ohn]. Illustrations of China and its people: A series of two
hundred photographs, with letterpress descriptive of the places and people represented.
London: S. Low, Marston, Low, and Searle, 1873-1874.
- Thomson, J[ohn]. The Straits of Malacca, Indo-China and China or Ten
yearsÕ travels, adventures and residence abroad. London: Sampson Low, Marston, Low,
& Searle. 1875. Chapter XI.
- Warburg, [O.] "Ueber seine Reisen in Formosa." [On
his travels in Formosa.] Verhandlungen der Gesellschaft für Erdkunde zu Berlin. 16 (1889): 374-387. English translation
by Tina Schneider. Edited by Douglas Fix.
- White, Francis. "A visit to the interior
of south Formosa." The Cycle: A Political and Literary Review 17 (27
August 1870): 197-199.