While Reed College does not offer merit or academic scholarships, there are many outside resources that can help pay for educational expenses or reduce a student’s need to borrow. The following sites are not affiliated with Reed College but provide information about various private scholarships and links to scholarship search engines. Please beware of common scholarship scams and click here for more information on how to avoid them! You should never pay for scholarship information or applications.
If you have been awarded a financial aid package, also please be aware of how outside scholarships may affect your need-based financial aid award by reviewing our outside scholarship policy here.
Common Scholarship Search Engines
While we are not endorsing these sites, these major scholarship search engines have proven to be legitimate over the years:
By no means an exhaustive list, these are some scholarship granting organizations that have come to our attention. This list does not constitute an endorsement, so please research each scholarship carefully.
- American Chemical Society: scholarships for African-American, Hispanic, and Native American students pursuing degrees in the chemical sciences.
- AES Engineers: scholarships for motivated students.
- ASCO Numatics: scholarship for engineering students pursuing careers in industrial automation-related disciplines.
- Big Sun Scholarships: scholarships for student athletes.
- Bridgat Scholarship Program: Students with demonstrated leadership in cross-cultural activities.
- Buick Achievers: Scholarships for students majoring in Engineering/Technology or select Design/Business programs and who plan to pursue a career in automotive or related industries.
- CenturyLinkDeals Scholarship: scholarships for college students interested in writing an essay about technology.
- Chafee Education and Training Grant: tuition waivers and funding to help current or former foster care youth in Oregon with postsecondary education.
- Clayfolk: scholarship for art majors in Oregon and northern California who show an exceptional interest in the field of ceramics.
- Coos County Master Gardener Association: scholarships for Coos County, OR residents who are interested in pursuing a career in a plant related field.
- Davis-Putter Scholarship Fund: grants for needy students actively working for peace and justice.
- Department of Homeland Security Scholarship Program: students pursing science and technology innovations that can be applied to the DHS mission.
- Dollars for Scholars: umbrella organization for hundreds of scholarships with local chapters.
- Domo Scholarship for Business Management: for students studying business management and analytics.
- Elks: scholarship granting service organization with local and state chapters.
- Equity Foundation: scholarships for members of the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender communities in Portland/Vancouver and their children.
- Ford Foundation Diversity Fellowships: scholarships for students planning a career in teaching and research at the college/university level.
- Future Counselors of America Scholarship: scholarship for undergraduates or graduates majoring in psychology.
- The Fruit Company Scholarships: scholarships for graduates of Oregon and Washington high schools and young entrepreneurs.
- Garden Club of America: scholarships for students interested in careers in gardening, landscape design, environmental issues, floral design or horticulture.
- Gates Millennium Scholars: scholarships for outstanding minority students with financial need.
- Giva Student Scholarship: scholarships for undergraduate and graduate students.
- GreenPal Business Scholarship: scholarships for students interested in owning a business.
- HubShout Internet Marketing Scholarship: scholarship for students interested in online marketing and business.
- Incight: scholarships for students with physical or learning disabilities.
- Institute for Humane Studies: scholarships and internships for students interested in the principles of a free society.
- Jewish Vocational Service Scholarship: need-based scholarships for Jewish residents of Los Angeles.
- Kiwanis: scholarship granting service organization with various chapters.
- Lake Oswego Arts and Crafts League: scholarships for women art majors.
- Lions Club: scholarship granting service organization with various chapters.
- Mesothelioma Group Scholarship: scholarships for students who have experienced and overcome adversity in the face of cancer.
- National Federation of the Blind: scholarships for students who are legally blind.
- National Society of Black Physicists: scholarships for African-American students who are majoring in Physics.
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration: scholarships for college sophomores majoring in math or science.
- Online Colleges Scholarships for Women: a listing of scholarships for women.
- Oregon Association of Broadcasters: scholarships for students majoring in Broadcast Journalism, Production, Management attending Oregon colleges.
- Oregon Concrete & Aggregate Producers Association: scholarships for students pursuing a career related to the construction materials industry.
- Oregon Medical Education Foundation: scholarships for Linn-Benton County high school graduates seeking a career or degree in medicine or nursing.
- Oregon Native American Chamber: scholarship for Native American students from Oregon or Clark County, Washington.
- Oregon Nurseries Foundation: scholarships for students who are interested in horticulture.
- Oregon Student Aid Commission: Over 100 private scholarships for Oregon residents with one application.
- P.E.O. Scholarships: scholarships for women.
- Rotary: scholarship granting service organization with local chapters.
- Sam Tepper Memorial Scholarship: scholarship for science majors at four colleges, including Reed College.
- Senior Care Innovation Scholarship: scholarship for gerontology related fields.
- Soroptimist: scholarship granting service organization with a focus on improving the lives of girls and women.
- UNCF/Merck Science scholarships: scholarships for African American students interested in pursuing science and engineering careers.
- US Bank Scholarship: scholarships for high school seniors and college undergraduates.
- Varsity Tutors Monthly Scholarship: scholarships offered to students who write the best essay in response to a monthly prompt.
- Wildlife Society Oregon Chapter Scholarships: scholarships for students pursuing a college degree in Oregon in a field that is relevant to wildlife science.
- Women in Transportation Portland Chapter Scholarship: students pursuing studies in transportation or related fields.
- Zonta Club: scholarships for junior and senior women interested in business studies.
Reed student Grants & Fellowships
For graduate fellowships, research funding, and special Reed-funded internships for current Reed students, please refer to the Reed Student Fellowships and Awards page. For other paid internships, please refer to Career Services' IRIS resources.