Windows Drive Encryption
Encrypting important files is a good way to protect your privacy from prying eyes. If your computer is ever lost, stolen, or even just left unattended your files will be protected. We recommend using Bitlocker to create encrypted drives for storing sensitive files on Windows.
Bitlocker is only available on Pro, Education, and Enterprise editions of Windows and has specific hardware requirements. Windows can automatically scan your system to know if it meets the requirements
Bitlocker will create what amounts to a file-vault on your computer that is encrypted and can be protected by a password. Here are some instructions for creating an encrypted drive, if you need further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for help.
Creating an Encrypted Drive
- Click Start and search "encryption" and select "Change device encryption settings" from the results.
- Select Manage Bitlocker and then select Turn on Bitlocker
- Choose how you would like your drive to be accessed (recommend using a password)
- Choose desired option for a recovery key
- Choose how much of the drive you would like to encrypt
- Choose encryption mode you would like
- Make sure "Run BitLocker System Check" is checked
- Restart computer and enter password
- Your drive should begin encrypting!
back to top