Possibilities for Activism
I do not believe in any form of censorship. I believe that education
is the way to create a more active citizenry who will take action against
such messages in our midst and work for a more equitable political economy.
- Write to the magazines or advertising firms that print sexist and
racist images to express your disgust. Write to the companies that have
conceived these sexist ads. Most of the images in the collection include
information about the companies and sources they came from.
- Write letters to the editor of prominent local newspapers protesting
the content and messages of advertising campaigns.
- The collection includes an "analysis" page link. If you would like
to submit your comments or analysis of particular images, please send
them to webmaster and they will be posted with the image.
- Learn more about the ways in which our culture perpetuates violence
against women and other oppressed groups. Then share this information
with your friends, family, co-workers, and professors. Spread the word
about the harmful effects of the media's exploitation of women and other
- Construct a counter-ad campaign. See Adbusters.org, http://adbusters.org/spoofads/printad/,
for instructions on making your own parody print ad. Their instructions
here are also a good introduction to the structuring of ad messages
- Do not purchase the magazines that run sexist and racist ads. Boycott
the products and companies that sponsor them. Encourage your friends
and family to do the same.