Environmental policy statement
Approved by the Reed Faculty December 4, 2006
Approved by the Board of Trustees February 10, 2007
Reed College is committed to responsible stewardship of its campus environment and is aware that our actions and decisions impact our city, our region, and our planet. As an institution of higher learning, Reed is dedicated to investigating, understanding, and promoting awareness of its present and future impact on the natural world. Through broad community involvement and education, Reed strives to incorporate ideals of sustainability into the operations of the College and the daily lives of individuals on campus. Sustainability is commonly accepted to mean meeting the resource needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs. All Reed efforts in support of sustainability will strive to maintain and develop the College in a responsible manner and to minimize the College’s impact on the environment.
Activities in support of the above policy statement include:
- Promoting Awareness
- Provide educational opportunities for community members to learn about the College’s commitment to sustainability.
- Encourage all community members to incorporate environmentally sound practices into their campus activities.
- Research and evaluate current practices and policies in light of new advances in technology.
- Making a Commitment to our Campus Environment
- Maintain and develop the campus landscape, including the Reed College canyon, using environmentally sound practices.
- Use sustainable building practices in construction activities on the campus.
- Develop, implement, and modify a campus master plan that respects the environment.
- Making a Commitment to our Global Environment
- Promote the efficient use of resources including water, fuels, electricity and other materials.
- Limit waste through recycling and responsible purchasing of materials and services.
- Understand best practice standards, requirements of environmental laws and regulations and have a process of continual environmental improvement.
The Environmental Sustainability Committee facilitates and coordinates the College’s activities in support of sustainability. This committee monitors the current environmental impact of the campus and reports its findings annually to the faculty and to the community. The committee encourages proposals and suggestions from the community for ways to improve current sustainability practices and helps to determine which practices to investigate and adopt.
(last modified: November 23, 2017)